Ant Ideas?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sweetgoats, Jan 24, 2008.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I have a doe that kidded on the 15th of Jan. She had twins, and she is the one that took on the orphan doe.

My question is, she will not eat her grain at all. But she eats her hay like CRAZY, which is great. She is a first time mom and a good one that we have noticed. All the babies seem to be growing fine and are active as ever.
    My concern is, she hardly has a utter at all. It is rather small and to be nursing all three I was a little worried about it, and being she will not eat any grain, no matter what we give her.

Is there anything that anyone has ever done to help their does? I was going to give her a little calcium paste just to make she she is not losing any because of all the babies.

Like I said the babies are doing great, and no one seem to be lacking in food. Maybe I am just a worry wart, but I hate to stress her being she is a FF and all.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with 3 nursing I would be surprised if you saw an udder on her at all. So that part sounds normal.

What kind of calcium paste are you using? is it the CMPK? I heard that is the best kind for goats.

was she eating her grain before kidding? I know you don't feed grain all year round so that is why I ask- wasn't sure when you started her on grain.

If she has never had grain before she may not have aquired a taste for it. Are you feeding a pelleted feed or a sweet feed?

3. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Nursing three kids is going to make her udder look small most of the time, so that is 'okay'.

If she is eating alot of hay, that is a good thing; don't force the grain on her.

If you can place alfalfa pellets or cubes in with her that will give her extra calcium and protien.

I would go ahead and give the calcium paste anyway...that's not going to stress her much; or just try to get some Tums down her every day to ensure she is getting enough calcium.

As long as she has enough mineral\vitamin access, and plenty of hay, and water readily available, the way she is eating is fine; she may start eating grain later on, when the kids really start taking more and more out of her.