The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for some long-term pain relief or anti-inflammatory options for my one doe.
She had meningeal worm about 3 years ago and I’m sure shes got some scarring in her spine that is making her uncomfortable. She rarely fully lays down, most of the time she lays with her front legs out almost like she’s sitting on her backend (see picture, it was on my barn camera at night). I know I could give her Banamine but I’m really looking for something I might be able to give her daily as a feed thru that I could hide in a treat or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for long term oral pain relief?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I'm looking for some long-term pain relief or anti-inflammatory options for my one doe.
She had meningeal worm about 3 years ago and I'm sure shes got some scarring in her spine that is making her uncomfortable. She rarely fully lays down, most of the time she lays with her front legs out almost like she's sitting on her backend (see picture, it was on my barn camera at night). I know I could give her Banamine but I'm really looking for something I might be able to give her daily as a feed thru that I could hide in a treat or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for long term oral pain relief?
Iirc meloxicam can be used long term.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
If you do use Meloxicam, make sure you medicate her with food. That stuff tears apart the stomach lining. (speaking from experience!)

Things like Turmeric, CDB, Yucca and such are natural anti-inflammatory prevention.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Me and one of my dogs have been on Meloxicam for several years. It's a very common medecine for arthritis in all species.

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually take meloxicam, does anyone know what the dosage might be?

I’m not completely against using natural methods but I find that they’re not usually as effective.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Turmeric and cayenne in combination are good and helpful but they take awhile to build up to therapeutic levels in the system. Burdock root is the same. I have a ND wether that goes to a chiropractor occasionally now but in the beginning it was once a week. He recommended those in treat balls and at first it seemed not to work, but I kept at it ...and low and behold after about three weeks I started seeing improvements, small in the beginning but now he’s doing great. His problem was permanent injury, not illness so,It might take a bit longer. You could do both until you see her better, then with the meloxicam, start cutting back the dose of it and see if she’s still doing better or not. It’s worth a shot anyway.
Meloxicam is so hard on their rumens, whereas turmeric and cayenne are not.
I’m not a use “only natural” type, but I will when it works as well or better than chemical Solutions.
Just a thought....
I hope she feels better whichever route you take.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
Meloxicam dose for goats is pretty large at 1 mg per 2.2 pounds.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
I'm not completely against using natural methods but I find that they're not usually as effective.
The only thing with natural ways is it needs time to build up and you must stay on top of it..with that said..in my personal experience herbs and ess. Oils work very very well when you use quality product.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Meloxicam works well -

Personally I would use an MSM glucosamine supplement, along with things like turmeric and other herbs mentioned.

CBD you could try, but I am personally not confident in it.

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think I’m leaning towards the Meloxicam and see if it has any changes. Does anyone know if it’s safe for pregnant does? I’ve heard ibuprofen also works, has anyone used that?

I might try CBD as I had an older arthritic Clydesdale I used it on and it worked wonders. I think that's one of those things you have to try to see if it works on that individual or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts