antibiotic dosage

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by baabaamilker, Jul 2, 2008.

1. baabaamilker

baabaamilker New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Hi all.

I need to know the dosage for Pro Pen for an adult goats. I have a friend who just had a dog get into their pen (been trying to catch or shoot the thing for several months) and tore up one of her goats pretty bad. I'm going to be running over there to see if I can do anything to help and bring along the antibiotics. I need to know the dosage and if any of you have any other suggestions as to what to do to bandage up her wounds. Looks like he got the front leg pretty bad, a couple of bites on the neck too.

Thank you all.

Denise

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    1 cc for each 25 pounds ..1x a day for 5 days. This is an intra muscular injection so when I need to use it I give it in the fleshy part of the hind leg and alternate legs and areas of injection for each dose. Also it would be best to flush the wounds with a betadine solution or even the gentle iodine, to clean out any debris. I hope she can recover from the attack and I really hope that dog met it's maker!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i dose almost the same but at 1cc per 20lbs. Some vets say you can even give that twice a day to keep the antibiotic in their system as it only stays in for 12 hours. Be consistent for 5 days.

As to her wounds --- I don't know sorry

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My vet told me 1 cc per ten pounds twice a day. And you can give SQ or IM.

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007