The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having terribly hot, humid days (temps in the mid-80's) with nighttime temps in the 40's. Our whole herd went through a cold after our daughter showed one of our does at the fair, our two Nigerian bucks both became really sick and were dead in less than 48hrs. Vet says its bacterial pneumonia. I want to go ahead and treat my other 12 goats but the vet won't give us Nuflor without seeing them (and charging $55/goat) even though she saw our last buck a day before he died. what else can I give that I can get retail? And what else can I give supplementally along with it? Is anything safe for a bred doe who will kid any day? Our goats are on a medicated grain ration, get 2nd cutting alfalfa hay and are on pasture. We're washing all feed dishes and water troughs/buckets with antibacterial soap too. Would heat lamps at night help or not?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The last thing you want to do is put up heat lamps! They will cause more problems than you've already got. I would keep a really close eye on them and hit them with long-acting penicillin at the first hint of not feeling good, or going off feed. Might talk to your vet about feeding Auromycin (chlortetracycline) crumbles until the weather straightens out so you don't have to mess with the penicillin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts