Any advice on breeding a short male with a tall female

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 5andcounting, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    The are all pygmys but our male is short like a 1ft and a half tall and our girls range between 2 1/2 ft and 3 1/2 ft and Drake just can't get to them he tries and tries but all he gets is air! :slapfloor:

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I would build him a "pitchers mound" :D. Something he can stand on an get that xtra highth he needs. You may need to help him by holding the does near it.

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't have a lot of experience, but about a third of it is breeding nubian does to pygmy bucks to get kinder goats. If you give him something higher to stand on, a hay or straw bale might be too high for you, but something solid, and hold the doe there. The buck can figure it out, but my does are willing but unable to get the idea of backing up to something like that. We have had great success, even though it always seems highly unlikely, a 2 second affair.

Jan in New Mexico

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a buck that was only 7 months old, and he bred those big girls of mine without any trouble. If the girl is in standing hear, she will make due for him.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: I had to build a "ramp" for Joe when I was trying to breed him to one of my girls

6. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    My husband and brother moved them to the small pen and put things in there to stand on if they don't get it shortly :ROFL: i will put her in place for him to get standing on something. Thanks

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I put my alpine in the milk stand and then put the step up behind her so that my young boer could get her last year

8. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Oh what we go through to get our girls "dates" :D

9. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    You could put him in "heels" :ROFL: :ROFL:

10. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Yall are hilarilous. :ROFL: I am not sure she is in standing heat. He is still trying to mount her but she runs. We have moved her and him to the small pen and hubby is working on building a ramp type thing so they can breed if he really can't get her once she is in standing heat. :oops:

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is Drake? Sometimes even age will factor in when in rutt...young and anxious, in a hurry...experienced and laid back older boys seem to think that the doe will always be available so they aren't in too much of a hurry.

Hank, my pygmy buck was 4 months old and 13 inches at the withers when he bred my two 2 year old pygmy does who were 18 inches tall.....they were able to match up because each of those girls stood in the ditch that runs below the barn while he stood on the bank of it!!

Where theres a will theres a way, you may need to hold your taller girls in front of him....and when they are in standing heat, they won't be running away, they'll be flagging his face with their tails and squatting to pee in front of him too.

12. Where there is a will, there is a way. Those does will even lay down if they have to. If they want it they will do what it takes to get it, plane and simple. :thumb:

13. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Oh, *wipes brow as she reads all the answers* and I thought i was 'weird' for making a stud mound out of cement blocks. . . . glad to know . . .I wasn't the only one .... :ROFL:

14. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Stand him on a pallet with a board on top and back her up to it. When we had bred mini Toggs we had to stack two pallets high for the Nigerian buck to reach the Togg does.