Any concerns with feeding corn?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NDinKY, May 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We have whole corn that we’re feeding to our pigs and our does love it. I used some to get one of my girls to settle on the stand. This is not their whole ration, but this doe in particular doesn’t want to stand unless I’ve mixed some corn into her sweet feed on the stand.

Of course after doing this, I was just reading how goats should not be fed whole corn. The article didn’t really say why, just said goats should not be fed whole corn and sheep should not be fed cracked corn. Does anyone have any insight into corn and goats? Would it be safer to switch to cracked? I’d like to be able to use the same product for my pigs if possible since I’m running out of grain storage space.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Corn is a hot feed. Meaning they can easily get entero toxemia from it. A little won't hurt but it shouldn't be the main grain in her diet.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Too much can also cause acidosis. In small amounts its ok but should be cracked corn as whole can be hard on their teeth.

NDinKY likes this.
  4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ok thanks, I’ll switch to cracked corn. It’s definitely just a treat, she just stands so much better while milking with it. I’ve been giving her a cup at each milking. She also gets goat pellets and alfalfa pellets, along with hay and pasture. Right now she’s feeding 5 kids (I milk her out then give that to her 3 doelings since all 5 were really beating up her udder). I did work her up to that amount so it wasn’t a sudden change.

happybleats likes this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A cup is a good portion if her ration. I understand the difficulty of some milkers. Just keep an eye out for bloat, sluggish rumen stuff. Keep in mind water expands corn.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    What about a small amount of boss instead of the corn? She would at least be getting somethin that is good for her. But not a cup at each milking... more like three tablespoons or less.

7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll keep a close eye on her, I actually gave her less corn on the milking stand tonight.

I do already mix BOSS into their pellets. Mine actually don’t care for them much and tend to pick around them. She just really really likes the corn. It’s not something I’ve fed them before, just had it for the pigs. I’ll probably cut her back some more. I picked up cracked corn today so that should make her slow down too.

happybleats likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California