Any Counsel or Tips on Goat Barns & Lots?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by FineFolly, Jan 15, 2016.

1. FineFolly

FineFolly Peaceful Acres Oberhaslis, SC

Dec 29, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Hi Everyone,

We are on the verge of building our first goat barn and play yard, with extended pasture beyond. In fact we have begun clearing the ground and getting ready for the build, as you can see in the pic.

We sure would appreciate your tips and counsel on what to do and not do. No reason to have a long learning curve, with all the knowledge on this Forum!

Please give any advice you care to. We are looking at keeping 3-4 does at this point.

Attached Files:

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

What is your end goal and how big are you willing to build?

3. FineFolly

Dec 29, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Well, to start we are planning on keeping goats for our own use. Down the line (in a few years) we may want to sell milk, but that would require additional building.

My thoughts are to have a long narrow barn, with goats on one end and chickens on the other, and storage in the middle... but we are open to suggestions and advice.

4. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    Figure the design, plan and budget, then be certain that's what you want....and then make it 30% bigger!

Over hangs are nice for rainy (or snowy) days so goats can still go outside.

And slide shoots are great so you don't have to go into the pen to let them out on Sunday mornings before church (because no matter how fast you are you WILL smell goaty!).

A separate small pen, even if only used for short term storage, will come in very handy if you ever have a sick goat, or pregnant one :)

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You always want to build the largest you can afford.

6. goathiker

You want chickens in there too? Okay, I'll get on paint and show you what I would do.

7. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    you will want a dry airy barn. to save money build your out side walls four feet high and the upper four feet of wall cover with wind break material . this will let UV sun light in sanitizing the inside of the barn. my barn is built this way it is cool in the summer dry and warm in the winter.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Lots of lighting, water hydrants, drains, electrical outlets, more lights and hay storage. A vermin resistant grain room, a separate quarantine area, kidding pens and what was posted about size!

9. FineFolly

Dec 29, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Good to read this counsel!

I have also read that dirt floors with a 4" (or so) layer of sand is preferable. Any advice on floors?

10. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    my barn has a dirt floor with a covering of cores wood chips 6" deep. I got the wood chips free from a tree service that chipped his branches. my barn is large enough that I clean it out with my skid steer. the wood chips compost the goat manure and there is little to no smell.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  11. FineFolly

Dec 29, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    :fireworks:I would love to see suggested floor plans, and also pics of the set ups that you all have.:fireworks:

I bet other beginners would too!

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You said that you may want to sell milk in the future. I don't know what your state has for rules and regulations, but you might want to check into those in case you have to do or have certain things in your barn.

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also if you plan on eventually having bucks. A separate pen and turnout area for them that they can have by themselves until they are ready to go on their dates. I wouldn't have any chickens or feed near my goats - personal preference for making sure no goat EVER gets into the chicken feed or the chickens soil my precious hay/straw.

Kid area - rotation areas on pasture to keep down the wormload.

Exciting for you!!!! You will HAVE to send us all pics when it is complete!

14. FineFolly

Dec 29, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    It is exciting. We are trying to put the best layout and set up together, based on all the wisdom we are gleaning. This Forum is such a wealth of info.

Right now we are planning a goat barn with outdoor shelter and fenced lot, opening onto a number of fenced brush lots and pastures, like the two bottom pics. The middle one is now, and the bottom one is summer.

We also have a creek that would be neat for them to have access to if we can fence it securely. We hope to get Anatolian Shepherds once we are all set up and able to spend the time to train them.

Our land was cleared of most of the trees years ago, and now has a lot of scrub and overgrowth with fast growing trees and blackberries. It offers a lot of options for them.

SO, please advise away, we will benefit from all you counsel!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  15. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Looks gorgeous! Like a little slice of heaven.

I have no real advice though. We have two shelters, built out of pallets, old wooden fencing materials, plywood, and shingles made out of old sticky tile we pulled up while remodeling. Then we have a barn that was already here and is large enough for our hay storage, a milking stanchion, and a stall. I haven't built the stall yet but I'm excited to, since dh ran electric out there for me and extra overhead lights!

16. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
  17. goatowner88

goatowner88 New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I have about 500 foot of fence and will have a shelter and some brush area but mainly grass......m will goats trample or tear up grass

18. GoatMama123

GoatMama123 Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    How many chickens do you/ will you have? I have a coop stall for my chickens in my goat barn. It is probably smaller than you would like but I can throw a picture of mine on her if you would like, and tell you what I would change besides it being bigger. Because bigger is always better when it comes to the barn :)

If I could change anything about field set up... I would have a fenced corral area with over hang that has multiple gates that open to each field straight from the barn door...that way you don't have to walk them to the field you want. You can just open gate "A" and open the barn door. I currently have the barn door open to field A and have the gates to each field swinging opposite to create and alley for walking them from field to field.

Separate buck house with their own little pasture.

I like having multiple fields...I can keep worm load down... separate trouble makers... breeding ease...etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  19. FineFolly

Dec 29, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Right now we are clearing land for the barn and house. You can see our Travel Trailer on the left, with the covered deck my hubby is building for us to increase living space as we build

My plan at present is to have a long rectangle barn, with goats on one end, and chickens on the other. The center will be for milking, birth stalls and feed/supplies.

I have read that chickens can be a problem perching and pooping into the clean hay, and then goats won't eat it... I was thinking of having the feed hay inside the barn, and being able to close the door, so that chickens can't get to that area when they are loose.

I would like to have the end of the goat barn be able to be open or closed up in bad weather, and have a good sized covered area off of it, with a fenced play yard that opens onto the different grazing/pasture areas.

Any ideas or comments?

Attached Files:

20. goathiker

My goats aren't that picky :lol:

Hang on, my temporary barn isn't fancy and kind of dark but... Be right back.