Any good ideals on building a horse stall

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by mistyblue, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I am finally bringing my Mustang, Tank home at the end of November. He has been at the trainers for almost 3 years now. I want him at the house instead of at our barn down the road, but to do this I need to build a 1 horse stall w/small feed room for him first.

I would like to build it myself to save on cost but I am not sure on how to get started. I think I would like the stall to be 14X14 and the feed room at least 8X8.

Just because I think he is a pretty boy: Tonka Tank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Forst of all what a pretty boy - and he deffo fits up to his name. :)

14 x 14 is a really nice sized stall. 8x8 will be fine for your feed - are you storing hay in there too?

Are you on a small budget for this?

Also tak into consideration that if he has been at a barn for some time he might freak out on his own - so make sure that you ahve something to keep him company. My guy has two goats to keep him company. So you might wnat to think about another small stall for a goat or two to keep him from being lonely.

Some horses do find on their won - but most will be really lonely. MY guy does fantastic with his two goaty girls.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks, I can not wait to get him home.

I figured a 14X14 stall as he is a big boy he is part Percheron draft horse, I will only be storing 1 to 2 bales at a time in there. But I think I have decided to make the feed room 8X14 to keep it all under one roof. Yes, I am on a limited budget right at this time, I will be Craigslisting for alot of the materials if possible.

Actually Tank is the reason we got into goats. I had him boarded before I sent him to the trainers and there was a fainting goat there that the owners son would practice roping. Well, he was always in Tanks stall at feeding time and would hang out there. When I moved Tank we took Red as well, so Red will probably be going back in with Tank.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Nice boy you got! Did you get him from BLM? I check their site at least once a month. They have a one year old app on there now that I really like.

I am coming up with ideas on a barn/shed for a couple of horses as well. I have been thinking of using my metal garage. It's one of the large two car with built on tool shed. I was thinking of using the shed part (lg roll up door) as a tack/feed room and then using privacy fence panels to divide stalls and enclose the back wall. Plan on getting two older well behaved riding horses but we are going to our first horse auction on the 23rd. ( I'm supposed to be interested in the tack sale before the horses) Pray I don't let my heart get carried away. They have been selling for as low as $22 dollars here. "Calm" riding horses for $100 to $200. :sigh: We'll see.....

Gina

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I did not get him from the BLM but he is from them. He was a rescue that was rehab and then I purchased him for $100.

I really love this boy and I will get another BLM Mustang again. His only fault is he is spooky but it is not from being a Mustang but from the abusive home he came from. When he trust you, he gives his whole heart and will do anything at all for you.

Be very careful at the auctions, I have seen alot of those horses have hidden problems and be drugged up. But if you know what you are looking for you can get some very nice horses for cheap.