Any Good Recipes Using Goat's Milk Soap?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by capriola-nd, Jul 17, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Does anyone have any favorite recipes or links for making goat's milk soap and other goodies using milk? Just curious. . . .

Thanks!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have recipes for soap and fudge on my website...super simple and I use them often....FiasCo Farm site has recipes for cheese that I've also used http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/cheesepress.html this will take you to the cheese page.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I generally just always make up my own soap recipes using this lye calculator here- http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php but it's a good idea to run any recipe you use through it to make sure you are using the right amount of lye. But if you've never made it before just stick with a simple recipe that has already been "tried out." PM me if you'd like me to give you a very basic one. I tend to always lose my recipes and have to make a new one every time though! :roll: I order alot of my supplies through Bramble Berry Soap Supply. And my lye I order online as well.

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    This is the simple recipe I use, so far it has been a 'no fail' soap recipe.

2oz lye
    3/4 cup goat milk
    2 cups lard (you can use crisco or anything along those lines too as long as it measures the same)

Place the lard on the stove on low-med to melt it while I add the lye to the goat milk.

I freeze my goats milk either solid or at least slushy, then add a little lye to it at a time until it is all melted and dissolved.

When the lard is melted (be careful you don't want to over heat it) I pour the goat milk/lye mixture into the same stainless steal pan I used to melt the lard in. Always pour your milk/lye mixture into the oil, if you pour the oil into the milk/lye mixture they say it can bubble over.

I mix it, using an electric beater until it goes to trace at that time I add any EO and/or FO, plus any herbs I want.

I have also doubled this with no problems, a lot of recipes cannot be doubled without changing your lye calculations.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for posting your recipe K-RO....It definately looks simple enough and I just might have to try it out myself! :wink:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks so much to everyone who posted and the pm! Can't wait to make my soap!!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just a little tip from experience Olivia....please let your soap cure for at least 5-6 weeks before you attempt to use it...I was so impatient with my first batch that I didn't wait and the lye was still strong enough that it burnt my hands, after that I am sure to let it cure to allow the lye to leach out of it. :wink:

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yep, always let it cure....I cure mine for four weeks. But 5-6 isn't a problem.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks! I will definitely let it cure for at least 4 weeks. This isn't my first time making soap (although I am definitely a "newbie") just looking for some new recipes as the last I tried (using lard) we hated, it smelled like lye, even though we cured it plenty. I'm sure it was just me doing something wrong and not the recipe but was still looking at other options. Thanks!

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hello! Just letting everyone know I tried the recipe that K-Ro put on here and I LOVE it!!! I was worried when it was done and the soap was this really weird bright yellow color - but a couple days later it was a pretty cream color. I put vanilla scent & lavender leaves. I also used vegetable shortening instead of lard, worked great!!! Anywho, thanks much! Oh, and it was SO EASY! Took me only an hour or so to make it, the other kind took near three hours, this traced fairly quickly.

11. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ok I got a :oops: question, where do you find Lye and what brand do you use?

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's not an embarrassing question. :D I bought lye from Camden-Grey Inc. Here's the link: http://www.camdengrey.com/essentialoils/277a/
    They had a good price for it. $5.80 for 2 lbs. Only thing that hurts is the shipping costs. . . .

You can also find it at brambleberry.com - My aunt ordered some of this, but she said it was in a "pellet-like" form. One of our goat mentors who makes soap said that that kind of lye was not so good for soap making, unless it was used for making liquid soap, not entirely sure about that though, someone else would probably know more.

We had to send in a waiver form w/ our information and my driver's license # and such, since lye is apparently being used for wrong reasons. Anyways, hope that helps some!

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I order my Lye from http://www.biodieselbarn.com. It's worked great for me! They ship orders really fast too, I always appreciate that.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tried K-Ro's recipe also...though I used the meat fat/vegetable shortening and also froze the milk...it is very creamy looking, didn't change color and I scented it with pomegranite and a separate batch with cucumber/melon....can't wait to try it out! Thanks again K-Ro!!

15. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I get my lye from the hardware store, in the plumbing section, lol. They had actually ordered it for someone who was going to make soap and then never came by and picked it up, so now they stock it for me and another lady. Runs about 3.29 a pound, now mind you that is also the most expensive store in town.

I wish I could remember where I got that recipe from so credit could go to that person, but I don't remember. But I am very glad you all like it.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, just sold my first soap today!! $5 a bar. The bars were 3.4 ounces. We wrapped them up all pretty w/ some of my mom's fabric. It was fun. I sold the soap from the batch I made about a month ago, scented it w/ french vanilla and dried lavender. Anywho, I was just excited about that. :cool:

17. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    how many bars does one batch make?????????

18. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    It depends on the size of container you make your soap in, we made one big batch awhile back there was probably 30 or so bars in one batch.

19. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I have a really good recipe if you want it . . .

20. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I have a few goat milk soap recipes on my blog that I just posted the other day, the link to my blog is in my signature line.