Any guesses on breed?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by YouGoatMe, Jul 2, 2020.

1. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Member

May 31, 2020
    United States
    We adopted these two ladies and the previous owners weren't 100% sure what breed or mix they were. They were called Nigerian Dwarf but in my (inexperienced) eyes they seem a little stockier than other NDs I've seen. I'm wondering if they are some kind of cross between pygmy and ND? It's hard for me to tell because of my limited experience. Any input is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    I definitely see a little pygmy in there and it all depends on how old they are cause pygmys are tiny even smaller then NDs

Moers kiko boars and YouGoatMe like this.

3. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Member

May 31, 2020
    United States
    They are just over a year from what we were told. My guesses for pygmy was the overall stockiness, slightly wider nose, and possibly the body shape. My other Nigerian dwarf does are only about 4-5 months.They are very similar in size to my 2 year old ND buck though.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Definately Pygmy. Gizmo is a ND pygmy. Looks exactly like those two ladies.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They don't look that stocky to me. They are certainly Nigerian Dwarf but whether they are pure or mixed with some Pygmy is anyone's guess.

6. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I had a couple of purebred Nigerians who were stockier than the rest of the herd, but they were full Nigerians. The ones that have been bred for pets tend to be a bit heavier than the ones bred specifically for dairy production.

YouGoatMe likes this.
  7. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Member

May 31, 2020
    United States
    Thanks for the input everyone! We are a hobby farm so it didn't matter to me what they were. They are definitely super friendly, sweet, and very fond of snacks.

K's boys likes this.
  8. Canadian Goat Mom

Canadian Goat Mom Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought a Buckling that was supposed to be pure Nigerian Dwarf. Ends up he is Pigmy/ND and heavy on Pigmy. Lady I bought from thought all her goats are ND. I got him wethered and even my vet said he is Pigmy because of his size and physical appearance. I was told by a reputable breeder that many ND actually have Pigmy in them to breed a smaller goat.
    I don't care what my goats are though. I love them just because they are goats.

YouGoatMe likes this.