The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I returned to the barn this evening to put all the goats to bed and found one of our favorites dead :-( he was laying on his side with no visible injuries but had bloody foam coming out of his mouth. I suspect that he and our other male were horsing around and he got some kind of internal injury...but since we have other goats I wanted to know if anybody knows of anything else that could have caused this. It is heart breaking enough to loose Oreo but if the rest died I would be devastated.
Thanks
Judy

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
So sorry for your loss..:( How horrible! I'm not sure if internal injuries would cause bloody foam or not... Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
There is a type of bloat that will kill FAST and cause foam at the mouth. Not sure about the blood, though. Sorry for the loss :(

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Judy, I'm sorry for your loss.
My first thought was also bloat but it could be internal or something else, I'm not super experienced. You can always have a necropsy done. If you have a vet school nearby, sometimes they will do them for free for the practice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He ate nothing different from the rest they were all out to pasture the day before but kept in their pens yesterday ...he was fine when I checked about 2:00 then dead around 8:00. He wasn't bloated until after he died and when my husband moved him even that escaped. Thanks for all the advice can't afford an autopsy but I did grab some of the foamy stuff to have analyzed by the vet. Everyone else (all ok today) is stuck inside till I'm sure it wasn't environmental ....but at this point I'm pretty sure Danny just got a lucky (unlucky) hit in and caused some internal damage
Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts