Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Tera, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Tera

Tera New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    near Texarkana, TX
    Next week I am going to take one of my mommy goats and one of the babies to school. We are going to go to my little boys kindergarten class and do a little thing on goats and goat milk. Any ideas on what to cover and the best way to try to make butter? Keep in mind that they are all 5-6yrs old, so I have to keep it simple. My MIL has an old milk churn that I was thinking of using, but I am not sure if I should use pasturized or nonpasturized cream (can you pasturize cream?). I haven't done much with my does milk but feed it to the kids (goat kids), so this is a bit of a lesson for me too! Thanks in advance! :thumb:

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

We take baby goats to school every year. We have never taken an adult, but we take milk, we pasturize it and the kids get to make ice cream out of it. They always seem to have a lot of fun, and with th ice cream maker it only takes a few minutes. We usually just make vanillia as i never know what kids are allergic to. There is a letter sent home with kids about two weeks before and parents are invited to attend on that day. After the kids are all hyped up on sugar we let them run around with the baby goats, they all get a chance to feed the babies their bottles. Last year dixie (one of the goats) had a great time on the slide. The kids thought it was great that she would get on top of the little slide and then slide on her belly all the way down. Its a great time and the kids learna lot. parents like asking quezstions and its a great oppertunity for a lot of people that would otherwise never get the chance to touch or play or even see a goat.
    beth

3. Tera

Tera New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    near Texarkana, TX
    Ice cream is a good idea, but it is cold here! But I know my little boy won't eat butter, but he will ice cream....hmmm, gonna have to think on that one! I figured on taking one of my really calm, easy milkers. My nephew is the same age as my son and they are both so interested and helpful at milking time. They love watching it squirt out and knowing they did it!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can get a jar with a tight lid and put the cream in it and all through out the time you are talking have the kids pass around and shake the jar.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yes I sdidn't think about the weather right now. We always do it in april or may so the weather is warming up. But thats when we have babies.
    No babies for us right now.
    beth

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    When I was in elementary school, we made ice cream outside when it was cold....middle of winter in Indiana. It was very good!! Maybe it wouldn't be too bad to make ice cream