Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by capriola-nd, Sep 17, 2010.

  1. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, I am having some issues with a person who "bought" two of my does February of this year. I was at my limit with no time for all of the goats so I offered to let her take them and pay later (papers held by me until payment). One doe is paid off (sent papers for that doe to her), the other still not paid off. I would never have let them leave if I knew it would be this long without payment. . . Almost nine months! Do I have any options here or just wait it out? Maybe see if she doesn't pay by a certain date, say I will pick up the doe? Or charge interest?? I understand things coming up but it's just been a long time to wait for payment. . . .

    Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.
     
  2. AlaskaBoers

    AlaskaBoers New Member

    May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i would gently remind her that the debt is still owed.
    tell her a date to pay by, because you need to support your own herd.

    i know i actually forgot. bad i know, I got my Alpine buck and paid 1/2 there. then brought him home, I paid some more and then 4 months later I was talking about stud service with her and she mentioned I still owed $75. my jaw dropped and I apologized big-time, i had totally forgotten - but i went and looked on my receipts.. yep :doh:
     

  3. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Have you spoken to her? Do you have a written agreement that she does owe you the money for the goats? because if not she may think that she only needs to pay you if she wants the papers. And if she decided seh doesnt want the papers she may never give you the money. Just a thought.

    If I were in your shoes I would gently ask if she remembered that payment of X amount was still due and then suggest if that was still unaffordable then a lower amount could be payed and you would just hold the papers till the time whenever she could afford to "purchase" them.

    By offering her the chance to basically buy her without papers she maybe willing to send at least that much and you can get something off the deal. And maybe the full amount in due time.

    Duno just a suggestion.

    There are always two sides to a situation - best to talk to the buyer directly before assuming the worse :)
     
  4. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Almost nine months wow...that is a long time.... I agree with the others....you need to touch base with her.....and get this settled...... sometimes a little reminder will get the ball running.... good luck... :wink:
     
  5. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We've been in touch the whole time. I was told a payment would be sent Sept. 1st and haven't received anything or heard from her. . . I've been trying to be nice all along but it's getting harder to be that way. I know she'll want papers since her goats are all registered and nice quality.

    I sent an email this morning and we'll see what comes of it. I said that if she cannot be paid for within a month or so I can come pick her up or maybe something else can be arranged. Maybe this will speed things along.
     
  6. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hmmm - I would think that that would be more than enough time to pay the goaties off. I to would do a gentle reminder with a "way out" if need be that you could pick her up if need be. Of course I don't know the situation and if something "came up" that would cause payment not to be made or what not ... but 9 months is a long time on a single animal to be paid off.
     
  7. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe it was lost in the mail? Does happen sometimes.... if she has proof she sent it and it was lost..... then a search should be done for it....just a thought?

    Hope she answers you.... in the e-mail... :hug:

    But if she is ignoring payment .... you may have to tell her... to pay for an unregistered goat..instead of registered... as mentioned by the others......

    or ..you may have to take her to small claims court.... if it comes down to it or repo the goat..... as she is still your property.... but taking back a goat ...you don't know what she was subject to... :hug: