Any interest in trading...goats for my roan gelding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by firelight27, Mar 5, 2011.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I know this should go in the trade/barter section, but it doesn't seem anyone has posted there in awhile and I wanted people to see this....AND gauge interest.

I have a coming three year old red roan gelding for sale. He is not registered and can not be, but is by an AQHA stallion (Banick Blue) and out of a Thoroughbred mare that was supposedly supposed to have Jockey Club papers and no one ever got around to registering her as a filly.

He is 14.3 and still growing. I imagine he will finish at 15-15.1 hands. He is a very, very bright roan in the summer and fall. He is a little gangly right now, going through a growth spurt, but when he catches up to himself and his muscle fills out he is stunning. He is green broke with about 20 rides, has been on the trail a handful of times. Is calm, no buck, spook, kick, etc. I have had him since he was 6 months old and he has been handled extensively. Clips, bathes, is used to dogs, goats, quads, tarps, plastic bags, etc. Bends and flexes laterally, willing and fast learning. Moves through all gaits, backs, moves off the leg well.

I live in Southern Oregon. I am willing to haul up to five hours away. I would love to trade him for a pair of show quality registered Nigerian Dwarf does. Didn't know if there would be any interest from anyone close enough...

These are from Oct 09 when he wasn't getting taller and his muscle was filling out. It also shows the brightest his coat gets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a recent photo (I blanket in the winter, so his coat is short.):

[​IMG]

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    He's beautiful! I personally feel he'd be worth more than 2 nigi does . . . But I'm also a horse person first :greengrin: If I were you I'd keep him another year or 2 and put some real riding into him and then sell, he'd be worth more with a bit more experience.

3. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    He would, but I need to cut down on horses.

4. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Oh he's a beauty! Gorgeous coloring!
    In any other economic time, I TOTALLY agree that he'd would be worth MUCH more than two nigi's...but speaking from very current personal experience...horses in Oregon are practically FREE right now -the market is just BAD. My in-laws literally gave away their Champion halter show filly after trying to sell her very cheap for the last few years w/no luck...even for a few hundred dollars. It was more important to them that she have a good home...so she ended up going to a great family for free. Sad...but it was best for her.

Also two very close friends of mine are horse trainers and both are being bomb-barded w/people asking if they would take their horses (again 100% FREE) simply because the cost of feed and care is just too much for most families right now.

It's just a very sad state for the horse industry in Oregon. Breaks my heart. My sister lives in Washington and she said it's not nearly as bad there. Not sure why Oregon seems worse off than others???

I would really hang onto him, he looks very nice,... or better yet-How about contacting your local 4H extension office and have them send out an email to the horse 4H kids (I get them all the time/once a week) about a horse available for a free lease (or similar situation)... I know in Yamhill County we now have training classes where the 4Her's take on a youngster and train them up themselves...then they are judged at fair over how well they've done. Could be the perfect opportunity for this guy, he sure looks like he's got the attitude to be a solid 4H mount...and boy, those kids LOVE their horses! LOL! :thumb: .

5. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My area of Oregon is not doing bad as far as the horse market. I have him listed for sale as well and have five or six people scheduled to see him...I was just thinking I would definitely trade for a couple of really nice does. I think the Bend/Redmond area is doing alright as well. Lots of wealthy or high middle class people there and in my valley that don't seem as affected by the downturn. Not many Nigerian farms close to me though.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    You know...I wish I had your problem....and had to cut back on horses...! hehe... I love horses, but we don't have enough land to have any :( I am surrounded by beautiful horse farms - and always dream of one day having just a smidge of that grazing land for my own horses!

He is a GORGEOUS horse, I love his coloring, and he has such a cute face!

7. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

MAN O MAN I WOULD SNATCH HIM UP IF I WAS MAYBE 2 STATES CLOSER!!!!
    Holy wow he is so gorgeous!
    I'd buy him because I don't have any nigi does to sell.
    And alas, no money, or space to keep him!!
    Gosshhhh...he is absolutely stunningggggg!
    I hope he finds a great home that is as beautiful as he is!