The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read someones post and decided not to high-jack theirs and start a new one.
I always read about posts about people banding their goats horns, and so far have not heard anything all that bad. Then I read some sites and hear about all the things that could go wrong and they can die ect.
So has anyone ever really had any major issues banding the horns, and I hope not, but had one die from it? Im sure its not going to be a walk in the park for the goat, but anything that really went bad.
I have a lamancha boer cross and I end up having to milk her so she thinks of me as her kid, which is ok, but if any goat butts in while she is with me, even just petting her she attacks. 9 out of 10 times I end up getting hit with her horn in the process. So the horns need to come off but shes my girl, and was my bottle baby, so really what is the chance of something going wrong and she kicks the bucket on me. Im going to wait till winter when its not so hot and the flies are gone, well as long as people dont come on here telling me their goats didnt die because of this.
thanks

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Aw, hope you don't have to part with your goat, canthavejust1! I have never had experience with banding either, and I would like to know more about so we shall all lie in wait of responses....

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
She is a shorter goat so her horn tips are eye level with my youngest boys so they r really dangerous. She isn't mean towards people at all but accidently she could take out an eye. And she now likes to horn the milkers as I return them to the barn....she has turned into a real witch. She was low goat on the totem pole not that long ago!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am curious about this as well, someone recently posted that when their goats horn came off there was a hole into the sinus!! My Pygmy has horns and it is also at level with my sons eyes. I was considering banding his but I'm too nervous.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I was considering banding my wethers scurs, so I will wait for replies also....

@Peach, goats' horns are attatched to their sinus, so when the horns come off, you need to pack the hole with guaze and wrap it up, until the hole closes off.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
I've done a lot of reading recently on it and I believe as long as the horn isn't knocked off prematurely the "hole" to the sinus is small. I would think if done after fly season packing the hole will generally be unnecessary unless its knocked off early and bleeding a whole lot. From what I've read it seems safe. Obviously disbudding as a kid would be far less traumatic but I got my girl as a yearling so that wasn't an option. And she was a rescue of sorts. I won't own another horned dairy goat!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes mine takes after the lamancha and goes straight up and is the right level for my kids eyes as well. I know of many people who just cut the horn off with no issue, well that they say, but that is not something I am going to do. On one of the sites it talked about the outer horn coming off and leaving like the meat part and the goats die. But I was thinking if when you do the file part so the band stays put if you go some what deep, not enough for blood but close then the band would start cutting into the inside part faster.......if that makes any sense at all lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts