Any more advice on walking a stubborn doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Jul 25, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Our doe is about 16 months old and I have never had luck walking her. About to give up, but my 6 years old daughter loves this goat, and it's technically hers. That is why she really wants this one at the fair.

Anyhow, I hold the collar high (nylon, not choker) and pull the tail and she still does not move. She twists her head sideways in the most akward position and puts the brakes on with her legs.

I tried tying here to a tree with enough slack that she would not choke, but could not reach the grass to browse. She didn't mind until I took off the leash and again no luck walking.

Any suggestions? Will she be ok at a fair with other goats to follow, or do I give up??? I really don't want to give up. I have month to remedy!

Thanks in advance

2. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Practice! Walking behind another doe in the show ring if you know your doe is not a walker. If you have another doe that walks well, take them out together and reward after a nice walk. Practice with her a lot until she gets the hang of it. Some animals are not show animals no matter how much you work with them, where as some love to show. Just like some people!

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha you could do like i do.. i walk them even if they don't want..

if they stop or pull back, i yank at the lead to pull forward, if they don't move i drag them a bit. sounds horrible but it works

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I do the same thing as SDK. If they don't want to come, to bad! It sounds cruel, but it doesn't hurt them and they learn quick. I just give them a little jerk every now and then and they will pull and cry for a bit, but they soon quiet down and learn it's better to just walk forward than to pull back. Practice with a really soft rope so it doesn't hurt them and don't just drag them, jerk up a little and see if she'll walk forward a bit. If you do this every other day for about a week they usually catch on and get the idea. Also you can reward w/ treats when she moves forward. She'll soon learn the leash means treats and won't be so likely to resist. Hope that helps!!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    When I teach to lead, I put a collar and cotton lead on. Then I put a little tension on the collar- simply pull stronger til she notices. Then I hold it. She will pull back or just stand there. I don't release the pressure until her feet move even just a half step forward with one foot- then I immediately (that is key) release the tension and stand there for a minute or so. Then apply pressure again until another motion of the foot comes forward again. Then pause. Etc. I have never had any animal not learn to lead within a half hour- maybe not well but at least to go. The point is to wait while she figures out that the unpleasant pressure is in her control- just step and it goes away. Then let her stand without being bothered. Don't overdo it til she gets tired of the whole thing- get what you need then end it.

6. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I am training my wether and what I do is put a leash on him and a simple rope halter. As long as he keeps walking with the leash I don't pull on the halter. The halter will make him move and does not require as much strength as pulling on the leash. Rasins also help!!! I also find that several short training sessions, 15 minutes at a time work the best.

Suellen

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I agree with enjoytheride, classic "reward/punishment" technique, she learns not to "punish" herself! :doh:

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use tough love.

I put the chain collar on where it needs to go and I walk. I dont care what they are doing I keep walking. If they rear up, put the breaks on, scream like Im killing them, twist their head, throw themselves on the ground, I dont care. I keep walking. If I end up dragging them so be it.

They learn real quick is much easier to walk quietly beside me. Zepher was a handful. He twisted his head, that didnt work. He reared up that didn't work, put the breaks on that didn't work, threw himself on the ground and got dragged 4 feet, He jumped to his feet and walked quietly after that.

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've done a few methods. One being patient and doing it daily sometimes twice daily till the get the point. Some I've used the tough love method but the tough love method tends to work me up so I like the slow and sure way better and it suites me and the goat much better.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

some other things to try, take a leash and loop it around her back end above her hocks, that way youre encouraging her from behind as well. some people pull the tail, but pulling the tail just makes them mad and worse, and then when you have a judge lift the tail to see if they are clean the goat freaks out because she thinks they will pull it. with the lead behind them youre not hurting anything.
    Another thing to try is whenever she stops walking try going a different way, change the direction, either pull her towards you or push her away with your body and keep walking, it throws them off balanceand they have to take a few steps to regain it. When she takes a few steps give her an animal cracker or something else yummy. Start with just a couple of minutes at a time, the more frustrated you get them more frustrated she will get. and then you get no where. Always end your training session on a good note. You can slowly increase your time working with her as she gets accustomed to it.
    hope this helps, good luck
    beth

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :ROFL: I was reading this thread again and had to laugh. Yesterday, I was trying to get my hoof trimming done...so I had Bambino (2.5 yo, Cashmere buck, probably 150lbs.) or he had me, anyway, I was trying to get him to a "central area", were I had all my stuff, he flat would not move! He has horns 3 ft across, I'll bet that was the funniest thing to see, me trying to drag this big buck across the pasture! I finally had to tie him to a tree and bring the stuff to him! I really must have somebody film this kind of thing! :GAAH: