Any one ever use...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Feb 17, 2008.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OralX Brand Micro B12 5X? It says it's for horses and the dose for a horse is a 6mL tube containing 5,000 meg of B12. I was going to get the bottle of injectable for my goats but after reading the label it said that there was a high instance of anaphylactic reactions, so I found this when I got my wormer. If it's 100% B12 would it hurt to use on a mini goat?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Unless you have epinephrine on you I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't want to risk my goat having a anaphylactic reaction. But thats just me. I have never used or seen the stuff so I can be a good judge of it.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is an oral gel of micro B12 ,THE INJECTABLE was the one that had the anaphylactic warning on it. I do have epinephrine on hand and never had to use it thank goodness. Was only wondering if ANYONE ever used the B12 gel on a goat and what the dose would be.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is a bit off your question- I have never used B12 and wonder what it is its use? I have used B1 and B complex only.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After doing some research, which is what I should have done first, Goats get B12 from the cobalt in their diet which a deficiancy is evident when they lose appetite and waste away...o well just figured that a b vitamin was a b vitamin..never really thot that there were so many different types! Been awhile since I took biology in school. lol. Mine are definately not wasting away and my theory is if it's not broke don't fix it. The tube of B12 I got was $3 so I really didn't lose any money. I only got it because all the suggestions on Tilly being off basically sdaid to give her B Complex...I didn't like the odds of a reaction so I figured this was better than nothing, any way she's been doing fine so I pretty much will not be giving her anything other than nutri drench if she needs it.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know but I figure if the B12 injectable says that then the b12 paste may do that same. I know one is oral and the other is injectable . I have always just used B-complex and that has worked fine for me. I hope someone has more info for you :)

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have used the injectable B complex orally- I don't think it is as effective as injecting it but I only use it orally if I think that the goat could use a pick-me-up or I've given an antibiotic that
    can reduce b vitamin production. If they had like goat polio, I of course would inject B1 but, like you, I'd rather not take the risk unless I really thought it was needed.