Any one ever use...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Feb 17, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OralX Brand Micro B12 5X? It says it's for horses and the dose for a horse is a 6mL tube containing 5,000 meg of B12. I was going to get the bottle of injectable for my goats but after reading the label it said that there was a high instance of anaphylactic reactions, so I found this when I got my wormer. If it's 100% B12 would it hurt to use on a mini goat?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Unless you have epinephrine on you I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't want to risk my goat having a anaphylactic reaction. But thats just me. I have never used or seen the stuff so I can be a good judge of it.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is an oral gel of micro B12 ,THE INJECTABLE was the one that had the anaphylactic warning on it. I do have epinephrine on hand and never had to use it thank goodness. Was only wondering if ANYONE ever used the B12 gel on a goat and what the dose would be.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is a bit off your question- I have never used B12 and wonder what it is its use? I have used B1 and B complex only.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After doing some research, which is what I should have done first, Goats get B12 from the cobalt in their diet which a deficiancy is evident when they lose appetite and waste away...o well just figured that a b vitamin was a b vitamin..never really thot that there were so many different types! Been awhile since I took biology in school. lol. Mine are definately not wasting away and my theory is if it's not broke don't fix it. The tube of B12 I got was $3 so I really didn't lose any money. I only got it because all the suggestions on Tilly being off basically sdaid to give her B Complex...I didn't like the odds of a reaction so I figured this was better than nothing, any way she's been doing fine so I pretty much will not be giving her anything other than nutri drench if she needs it.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know but I figure if the B12 injectable says that then the b12 paste may do that same. I know one is oral and the other is injectable . I have always just used B-complex and that has worked fine for me. I hope someone has more info for you :)

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have used the injectable B complex orally- I don't think it is as effective as injecting it but I only use it orally if I think that the goat could use a pick-me-up or I've given an antibiotic that
    can reduce b vitamin production. If they had like goat polio, I of course would inject B1 but, like you, I'd rather not take the risk unless I really thought it was needed.