Any Soapers?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by jBlaze, Oct 12, 2007.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    I know it wasn't funny for you scorching the milk, but from here there is humor in that, I end up heating mine up to mix with the oils. I was so paranoid of scorching the milk that I put the milk bucket in an ice bath while I added the lye very very slowly. This time I did not do an ice bath, just a warm water bath to absorb any excess heat. It worked pretty darn good too. lye milk got to about 130. Now I just need to figure out how to get them both at a good temp at the same time without re-heating one, usually the lye in a sort od double bucket like you would melt chocolate. hope some of that made sense. lol. hard to type one handed while keeping baby away from the keys holding her in the other. But, that is how I often type at home. :lol: :wink:

2. kuiltin_kelly

kuiltin_kelly Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    I am NO expert by any means but a few things I have learned in making soap (and I have made LOTS of soap in the past year and a half)
    1) NEver us to much lye, it get dry and brittle and feels rough to the touch
    2) not enough lye will leave the soap kinda filmy and to soft, it will just turn to mush when you use it
    3) I use 1/2 lard, 1/2 shotening, seems to make a better pouring consitancy and the bars aren't to hards or too soft
    4) DON'T over whip!! If it gets past trace you will have a solid ball of soap that a pain to clean up!
    5) Careful with the oils, they make the oils trace 3 times faster, sometimes in lest then a minute.
    6) Keep an eye on the temps, to hot or to cold and the soap gets lumpy amd ugly, it still works, it just looks gross.
    7) ACCURACY!! To much or to little can ruin a batch of soap. once you find the perfect measuring tools and get the soap you like KEEP THOSE TOOLS ONLY FOR SOAP MAKING!!! Not all cups, 1/4 c, 1/2c. measure the same!! I found that out the hard way!!

Hope that helps everybody. Don't be discouraged if you have a few failed batches, it happens, just keep trying you wil get the hang of it. Just a side not, I made 8 batches last weekend and sold a ton already from what I made earlier. Its a fun thing to do and its a tidy little nest egg if you sell it.

3. littledipperfarms

littledipperfarms Guest

Nov 16, 2007
    I agree. When I first started making, it was a nightmare. Too much lye and the soap would harden before I could mix the oils, not enough, it was yucky. I cant tell you how many batches I had to throw out. My biggest complaint was the recipies you get dont usually tell you exactly how much it makes or the molds (big molds) dont always tell you how much they hold so theres a lot of guessing in the beginning. We've come a long way! Im running low on milk since no one will be kidding till Feb and March again but I have some holiday scents ( 4oz bars) if anyone is interested! Theres a bunch of info about our soap on our website (http://www.littledipperfarms.com). THANKS!
    Sierra

4. goat fever

goat fever Guest

Oct 17, 2007
    I laughed when I saw this title then I started after what I realized what is was for. I though it was for people how watched Soap Opra's on TV. Not making soap.

5. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    LOL too funny, soap operas would never have crossed my mind. sorry. =)

And I still have only made soap twice, three batches total. It is hard to commit to a few uninterrupted hours with small needy children. Of course I do enjoy those needy little buggers plenty. mmmm. :)

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 Guest

Nov 22, 2007
    Always put your recipe thru a lye caculator . Something as simple as changing from crisco to lard can change the lye amount . here is a link to a caculator

http://www.thesage.com/

Stop wasting money buying scents local . Look online

http://www.candlescience.com

has some really nice ones that are skin safe . They run 99 cents an ounce. The often run sales . I usually use 1 ounce per pound of oils.

Patty