Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by HoosierShadow, Feb 23, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I posted in the waiting section that Trouble kidded and her buckling is weak. I'm thinking it could be a selenium deficiency? He's just real weak legged. He wouldn't get up to nurse, and got to shivering real bad, after I worked and worked to get him going.

Knowing we had a buckling that might have had a deficiency a few weeks ago, after we got some colostrum into him hubby gave him some selenium e gel.

Sometimes he has trouble getting to his feet, and will lay on his side and flail around helplessly. But once I get him laying more upright, he can get to his feet.

I'm feeding him every hour and a half - syringe feed then taking him out and letting him nurse on mama. I have to hold him up most of the time while he's nursing, although the last time he was able to get up by himself - I have to hold mama as she is a ff and still figuring all this stuff out, so I am helping her. I was nervous about her kidding because she seems more 'delicate' mentally than my other does, so I did expect to need to help her.

Any ideas? Think it could be the selenium? I know orally it can take a couple of days to get them going, but it's all I have for now.
    He is alert, and he is vocal.

I'll try to get a video in just a short bit to add and show you what he is doing.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much selenium did you give him? is he getting a good full belly once he eats?

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It said to give 2ml to newborn kids on the tube. Hubby rubbed it in his mouth a little at a time so that he got most all of it. I have been filling up a 10cc syringe and he gets most of it, how much do you think he should get? I just gave him about 7-8cc and getting ready to take him out to mama and get him nursing again. Last time I took him out I kept him nursing until he wasn't crying anymore and wanted to sleep, so I am guessing he was satisfied. He has a good appetite now.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    He seems to be doing a little better. I just posted in the waiting room thread, that he is out with mama right now. It's much warmer, and after observing for a while and getting them to nurse, I think he'll be okay for a little while so they can bond. Gonna have hubby go check on them and work on getting him up to nurse. He did real good this last time, but I dont know how much milk he's getting, so we may still syringe feed and then allow him to nurse so we know he's at least getting so many cc's.

I can not find nutri drench for goats :( Does it have to be goat specific? I was told they were sold out at TSC the last time I was there. I called today and they said they don't sell it anymore :( The feed store near us has it for dairy cows. Or is there anything else I can use? I plan on ordering nutri drench, I just figured I could get it at TSC so I didn't think to order it at Jeffers.

5. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    Did TSC have Power Punch? Ours down her carries it. My goats seem to like it better than the Nutri Drench. Its in a bigger bottle, I cant remember how much it cost, though.

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Kathy! You know I believe I have seen Power Punch on the shelf. I'll have to call tomorrow and check. Thanks for the suggestion. Thankfully God is allowing this youngster to get strong. This is my first weak newborn experience, and he really had me worried.

BTW, I have a weak kid syringe, but couldn't find any directions on how to use it! Thankfully we were able to just put a little milk in his mouth at a time and he started swallowing it. So now I need to find instructions on how to do the weak kid syringe in case we're not as lucky next time we have a weak kid.

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Candice, glad he is doing better! For the weak kid syringe, you first measure the tubing. Put the tubing along side his mouth at the corner and then measure back to where you feel his last rib. Put the end of the tube there and then, with tape, mark the distance is it to the corner of his mouth.
    Then sit the baby on your helper's lap facing you. If you put his nose down towards his chest that will help guide it into the stomach instead of the lungs. Slowly insert the tube down the back of his throat and he should swallow it. Go to where you marked that tape on the tube.
    I then have a syringe with the plunger pulled all the way back with just air in it. Hook that syringe (plunger back) on the end of the tube and put your ear against his tummy. Slowly push the plunger and you should hear air bubbles gurgling in his tummy to let you know you are in stomach and not the lungs.
    Alternatively, you can put the syringe on the tube without the plunger and press your ear against it to listen for breath and watch for condensation to show you are in the wrong place (lungs). I think the first way is more fail proof.
    When you know you are in the right spot you put the syringe on there without the plunger inside of it and pour the milk in. It will gravity feed in. When it is done, pinch the tubing tight (crink it like a hose) before you remove it from the throat to prevent formula from going into the lungs as you pull it out. All done! :wink:

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much I appreciate it! We were too afraid to try it and do it wrong. I'm writing this down in my goat journal in case we have to use it.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually its even simplier then that -- the tube wont go in far (only a couple inches) if its going into the lungs. I have only ever put it in the lungs once - I knew right away it wasnt right, pulled it out tried again. I had to tube feed 2 kids for a week + 4 times a day so yeah its not hard ;)

Glad the boy is doing better.

Remember 30cc is 1ounce so if he is getting 10cc then he is getting 1/3 an ounce

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank You Stacey I appreciate it!

He is sooo much better now! he's getting up and nursing on his own without assistance, and is definitely much different than he was this morning. I am so thankful! But I'll continue to check on them through the night just to be sure.