The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What powder or grain thing should I give him? I really don't want him to get uc because I heard it can be pretty painful to them:( so anything to prevent it would help:) thanks:D

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Ammonium Chloride, Manna Pro loose goat minerals have it added in... leaving the mineral free choice though is what is needed to have it be helpful.
You can also purchase AC from either Hoegger Supply or Jeffers Livestock, there are directions with each as far as how to dose it.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
It would be better to make sure their diet is 2:1 calcium to phosphorus. You can get ammonium chloride and ad it to minerals to help prevent UC. Not sure on the dosage though.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Alfalfa pellets have approximately 1.5% calcium and approximately 0.2% phosphorus. This would provide a good source of calcium and little phosphorus.
The whole diet needs to be 2:1 Calcium to Phosphorus. Have 7.5 x more calcium than phosphorus according to your facts. Sorry if I sound confrontational or anything. I don't mean to be.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
The whole diet needs to be 2:1 Calcium to Phosphorus. Have 7.5 x more calcium than phosphorus according to your facts. Sorry if I sound confrontational or anything. I don't mean to be.
Hello,

That is always what I've been told, but after doing some digging I found that I am off by a little. It turns out calcium is approx. 1.39% and phosphorus is approx. .23%. Here are two links that I used for reference:

http://www.goatworld.com/nutrition/alfalfapellets.shtml

http://ingredients101.com/alfpellet.htm

PS: You didn't sound confrontational at all! :) ;)

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
It's still about the same :) BUT, if you feed your wethers grass hay, you can supplement with a bit of alfalfa pellets, and it will be about perfect in regards to the 2:1 calcium phosphorus ratio... Our wethers have to eat alfalfa, but that is just because only a few people grow grass hay around here. If they do, it's usually $12-$15 for a small bale. Alfalfa is $6-$8, so much cheaper. I would like to add AC to their diets, just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts