The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am going to try to keep this short.
This goat is 4 years old and has been healthy until this year. She freshened fine, text book delivery. She didn't milk as well as she did last year but she was eating/drinking/milking acting fine so I wasn't concerned since she had a single this year vs last year w/ twins. She freshened in Feb. She went off grain in June, never uddered up for any of the shows....I dried her off in June and in July she went off feed completely. Sunken in sides etc. I gave her vit b, bose, wormed her, started her on an antibiotic since she was way off. She dropped a good 20-25lbs pounds (she's a 170ish pound animal) Wasn't improving so we had the vet out, he drew blood. Blood work showed an infection so we treated her...thought we were in the clear however she continued to lose more weight, continued to get weaker so we had the vet out again he took more blood for a CBC. Red cell count was fine but showed infection again. Switched to Nuflor, after the first shot of Nuflor she started eating/drinking good....went through a round of nuflor and her appetite was extremely good. However during the Nuflor round she went down and hasn't gotten up since. She is bright eyed, alert, drinking, eating, peeing/pooping fine. I've given vit b. red cell, probios, bose, vit e fecals shown she's clear of parasites. She went from 170ish pound animal to a very very underweight thin animal, walking skeleton type of condition....The vet was out a third time after she had gone down. Every disease we've came up with has been ruled out because she just doesn't fit any of them. His conclusion is something degenerative in the spine. She has gone from not being able to put any weight what so ever on her legs to actually being able to put weight on all four legs if I help her stand up and help support her weight. With two people we can get her to walk but again someone has to lead her and I have to help support her however with every step she does use her legs and puts weight on all four of them. If it was degenerative I wouldn't think she would have improved THAT much. During this time she has continued to eat and gain weight. She is looking much better coat wise/condition wise however she is still not standing up on her own....

Any thoughts??

Is it possible that due to the weight loss her body just got down soooooo far and soooo bad that it's just going to take a lot of time and work to get her on her feet again??

BTW-She's been negative for CAE since I bought her.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
It is possible.... Have you tested her for Johnes disease? I have never dealt with it, so I haven't done much research on it, but I am pretty sure it is 'wasting disease'. If she is improving though, I am not sure if that is it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnes was ruled out because they tend to waste away even though they continue to eat. Where as she wasted away because she didn't eat.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Ah yes... I am trying to think of something, but not coming up with anything... :( The more experienced members will be on a little later, hopefully they will come up with something!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have tried coming up with something also but like I said, vet and I ruled everything out that we could think of...we are at a loss of what is going on with her! :(

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Don't worry, there are some VERY smart people on here, so hopefully, we can figure something out. :) :hug:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alfalfa hay & a grain mix I have used for quite a while...same mix my friend has used for years. Plus free choice minerals/baking soda.

I have started giving her calf manna also and offer her alfalfa pellets but I don't think she really cares for the alfalfa pellets. She eats a few bites and doesn't want any more of them but she will eat the hay/grain.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would trya few things that wouldn't hurt....fortified B complex, CMPK and BoSe. Do the B complex often. Do Kelp & good minerals and support the rumen with ProBios....do test for Johnes, just because. I feel it's not ruled out until tested for. Also Barberpole worm has been bad and doesn't always show in fecal samples...causes wasting.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I wouldn't think it's M worm because it hits so hard and kills fast if not treated for. She does have similar symptoms, but I would think it would have killed by now if it is. Wouldn't hurt treating for though just in case. I agree test for Johnes just in case.. You can go through WADDL, it is only $6.30 so worth it IMO.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read that the Johnes tests aren't 100% accurate? I really do not believe it is that. Especially since she started eating and gaining weight after the Nuflor.

I asked the vet about the M worm and he said no it's not that because at the time he was out here her whole body was effected plus like you said, if it's not treated it kills fast and this has been over a month so she should have been dead by now if that was the cause.

She's been wormed enough that I think we have that base covered. (I wormed w/ a different wormer also) And the fecal was clear. It was sent off to the lab, not done in the vet office.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I am just confused about why it said there was infection in her blood test.. Is she UTD on tetanus?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am just confused about why it said there was infection in her blood test.. Is she UTD on tetanus?
Yes.

I've been tempted to have another CBC ran to see if it is still showing infection or not. But I've had 2 blood tests done already.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We never had an issue with ticks w/ the goats. They were constantly on us and the horses but never once seen a tick on one of my goats and I had quite a few clipped for the shows this past summer. (She was also one of them that had been clipped)
I did a quick search on the botulism. I couldn't find anything for goats but what I found on cattle, when they had a problem with that it hit fast...
And whatever is going on with my goat has been over the past few months. :/

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Did you do any reading on the Lyme Disease?

·
1,524 Posts
It does sort of sounds like Lyme, but with all the blood work, they might have already tested for it. Wouldn't hurt to ask the vet if he/she has tested for it or if they would just in case.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts