The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two Nubians are both due ASAP, though they don’t act like it! Both are first timers. Frances’ udder is tight, and she is due tomorrow according to her previous owner’s best guess. Yesterday, I was watching her with my dad and sister, and we could see the kid’s head sticking out her side. Then...it itched it’s face with its back hoof. You could see the outline of it. Totally crazy!! A bit gross tbh. I think she may have more than one in her.

Flora Rose was due Tuesday, but she isn’t acting like she is going in to labor yet. They have grown to love us so much. It’s cool. I can open their pen doors (they are in stalls in the garage) and just let them walk around. More often than not, they just go back in their stalls and lay around.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... any babies yet?😁
No...😞 I wish there were. You can see one squirming around in Frances, but she’s just acting normal. She was rubbing her head on the other goat that is due, but I think she’s just itchy. At first I thought it might be hormones, but then she wanted me itch her too. I would love a normal kidding during daylight. This weekend would be great!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy kidding! Also are you a new goat owner?
I’ve had goats for 1 year. So new? Yes! But I’ve had the Nigerian Dwarfs for 1 year. Shamrock kidded twin girls this march, retained her placenta for 24 hours. It ended up ok. Been battling skin issues with her all spring. Treasure had mummified fetuses the day before Easter. The other goats are all great, too. Well, Reba’s (Nubian yearling) doing something funny with her back foot, lifting it up. Apparently the previous owner’s husband cut her hoof too short and something is sore. Sounds like that’s going to be a post for another time, though... Got three Nubians over a month ago. Now I have 11 goats!

·
Registered
Goats
1,169 Posts
I didn’t think it was possible for them to hold out so long!!
Well, it is normal for Nubians to go over their due dates.
I’ve had goats for 1 year. So new? Yes! But I’ve had the Nigerian Dwarfs for 1 year. Shamrock kidded twin girls this march, retained her placenta for 24 hours. It ended up ok. Been battling skin issues with her all spring. Treasure had mummified fetuses the day before Easter. The other goats are all great, too. Well, Reba’s (Nubian yearling) doing something funny with her back foot, lifting it up. Apparently the previous owner’s husband cut her hoof too short and something is sore. Sounds like that’s going to be a post for another time, though... Got three Nubians over a month ago. Now I have 11 goats!
That's great! How many NDs do you have? And I've had goat for 5 years this past March and I have 16 but today we are going to get two more babies a buck and a doe then in a few days we are going to get two more little does. So we will have 21. Also what is your goal with goats? Are you planning on breeding them every year? If so why? Milk, selling pets and or breeding stock for other people, meat? Sorry for questions just curious lol

·
Registered
502 Posts

That's great! How many NDs do you have? And I've had goat for 5 years this past March and I have 16 but today we are going to get two more babies a buck and a doe then in a few days we are going to get two more little does. So we will have 21. Also what is your goal with goats? Are you planning on breeding them every year? If so why? Milk, selling pets and or breeding stock for other people, meat? Sorry for questions just curious lol
Oooh! Congrats on getting two more babies!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I have two 4 year old Nigerian does, two 1 year old Nigerian does, and two nearly 3 month old doelings. Then we have two 1 year old bucks. Sooo...8 Nigerian Dwarfs.

I plan on milking them, selling/giving away extra milk, making my own cheese (maybe soap too), and selling extra kids. I like the company of goats! They are better at staying with me than our dogs. And treats for them just grow everywhere! Poop is so much easier to deal with than dogs, too. Anyway, guess I’m saying they are fantastic pets. I don’t know if anyone in my family might show a goat one day, but I’m keeping the possibility open. I also have a small homesteading channel on YouTube called R Corner Ranch that I am aspiring to make into a successful YouTube channel. Really hoping that works out for me!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Oh, and I don’t know if we have the heart (or stomach) to use the goats for meat. Plus, they are ADGA registered and are not worth it to eat! $ I’ve never sold a goat, but I don’t know if I would sell one to be eaten unless it had a lot of issues or they wanted to raise a buckling and butcher after it had a good life. And for breeding, it depends on what we can handle, I guess? And the health of the animal. We might breed Bambi, Blizzard, and Reba later this year. Bambi and Bliz are almost full sized and turned 1 in Late March-early April. Reba we would have to take to a Nubian breeder nearby to have bred. We might wait to breed her next year.

Congrats on getting more! Hope they are sweet and lovely!

·
Registered
Goats
1,169 Posts
I have two 4 year old Nigerian does, two 1 year old Nigerian does, and two nearly 3 month old doelings. Then we have two 1 year old bucks. Sooo...8 Nigerian Dwarfs.

I plan on milking them, selling/giving away extra milk, making my own cheese (maybe soap too), and selling extra kids. I like the company of goats! They are better at staying with me than our dogs. And treats for them just grow everywhere! Poop is so much easier to deal with than dogs, too. Anyway, guess I’m saying they are fantastic pets. I don’t know if anyone in my family might show a goat one day, but I’m keeping the possibility open. I also have a small homesteading channel on YouTube called R Corner Ranch that I am aspiring to make into a successful YouTube channel. Really hoping that works out for me!
Ill go check ya out on YouTube sometime!

·
Registered
Goats
1,169 Posts
Oh, and I don’t know if we have the heart (or stomach) to use the goats for meat. Plus, they are ADGA registered and are not worth it to eat! $ I’ve never sold a goat, but I don’t know if I would sell one to be eaten unless it had a lot of issues or they wanted to raise a buckling and butcher after it had a good life. And for breeding, it depends on what we can handle, I guess? And the health of the animal. We might breed Bambi, Blizzard, and Reba later this year. Bambi and Bliz are almost full sized and turned 1 in Late March-early April. Reba we would have to take to a Nubian breeder nearby to have bred. We might wait to breed her next year.

Congrats on getting more! Hope they are sweet and lovely!
Oh, okay just curious. And yeah...here we are on our way home .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts