The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No way to make that title pretty. :laugh:

I read on Goat Link that sometimes (though not always) the color of clumpy poop or scours can be indicative of the cause. Have any of you found this to be true at all?

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
Goat wisdom has a better thing to go off of but yeah it helped so much when I was loosing kids to scours and couldn't figure it out. Ended up being e coli which is a yellow water poo but for color wise it could have been too much milk but when they said water and bad smell I knew I had it pegged. I think it helps as long as you rule out things like worms and eating too much grain and so on. Funny you brought this up I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my doe with the runs and was on their today....I have come to the idea the new hay I got is just to rich for her....that's what the color says :p

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh, could you pm me with the link to that chart/description? I just found a few little clumps of light brown poo in the buck pen. Just a few pellets were clumped, so not bad, but I've dealt with some cocci and parasite issues this year, and I'm on my guard. Their eyelids are red, I'm going to check and see if there are fresh clumps tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Color of poop can give us an idea of whats going on...its not 100% but its a good start :D

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I've had mine show pellets that were a brownish color and dry, usually means with mine that they spent their day inside cleaning out hay feeders and didn't go out to browse or even go out to the water buckets. My hay also hasn't been the best this year.

Runny green with no fever indicates too much fresh green... runny greenish/brown is too much rich hay, the experience I've had with coccidia has had the diarrhea colored from green/gray to brown and stinky and also had different affects on the kids I've had affected.

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting. Today was BITTER cold, so most of their day was inside eating hay. The rest of the time they were calling to a lady in heat and eating oak leaves, lol!

The cocci I've dealt with has been black and tarry with a bitter smell, then a case where it was brown and runny.

·
Registered
363 Posts
PLease please excuse my ignorance on this, but Im not sure I understand, links are posted all the time to different charts like the Mancha chart and etc. Why not this one? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand Im confused. Can the person who knows the link pm it to me? if that's allowed, would anyone who has the chart PM it please. THANKS so much for your patients with me!:confused::chin::shrug::hammer::idea:

·
Administrator
85,684 Posts
PLease please excuse my ignorance on this, but Im not sure I understand, links are posted all the time to different charts like the Mancha chart and etc. Why not this one? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand Im confused. Can the person who knows the link pm it to me? if that's allowed, would anyone who has the chart PM it please. THANKS so much for your patients with me!:confused::chin::shrug::hammer::idea:
No problem, I will explain. The reason why is that it is another goat "forum", not associated with TGS.
This is what our Administrator said about it.

"Quote" Goatwisdom is not on the Group Builder network so it would be best that it is not linked to.

Is there a wiki or some other article on the internet with same type of information that she could link to?"Quote"

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm working on compiling a chart of "goatpoopology" using the pictures I have. :laugh: I think I'll find it helpful in the future, and maybe others will as well. I'll probably be adding it to my website eventually ... Here's one so far, two dietary cases, and the causes. Both of these cases had a green tint (can't see that as well with the first picture, as it was a phone picture, but it was very green in person). The baby case also was acidic smelling. With the lamancha case, I treated with probios, and she cleared up fine.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
The first one with an almost neon green tint and drops of blood is what Shep's poo looked like while he had Coronavirus. He was 6 weeks when he got it. The were huge amounts though. He pooed his weight everyday.

·
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first one with an almost neon green tint and drops of blood is what Shep's poo looked like while he had Coronavirus. He was 6 weeks when he got it. The were huge amounts though. He pooed his weight everyday.
Great information. So sorry for your loss. :( This one had no blood. The next day he was back to pellets.

I've also had foam on the rear with a full grown doe, and then she pooped pellets fine. That was after a day of grazing wet grass.

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
You have such a awesome idea going. Maybe we or you ;) can start a new thread and have people post pictures of different scours and their known cause. When ever searching about scours there is never pictures. With my ecoli it always says too much milk or just the first milk because the color was yellow. But from your picture of eating too much and e coli it soooooo way different. E coli is yellow but comes out as water. Hopefully I won't be able to share pictures ever again lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts