The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m new here, so hoping I’m doing this right.

So basically, I was doing an experiment in preparation for us being gone two and a half days later this month. I wanted to see if I could decrease my doe’s production enough that I could leave her for two and a half days without having to ask someone to milk her for me. I followed instructions for drying off, and my plan was to just MOSTLY dry her off but keep milking her a little bit, so essentially decrease production by a lot but not completely.

I got her production down and then proceeded to try to get it back up a little, but I’m not sure it’s working. Production seems to be decreasing still. I’m hoping I didn’t just rob myself of milk from her for the next year.

I did find someone willing to learn to milk them while we’re away, so now the only issue is getting production ramped back up before she dries off completely. I thought I’d start with milking her all the way out 2-3 times a day (I’ve been milking once per day - she’s only just weaned her babies). Not sure what else I could try so I thought I’d ask some experts.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I did this(kinda) with a boer doe in may(?) I believe. She had quads and got milk fever right after kidding, as well as lost a lot of weight. I wanted to keep her milking so that way when she was back on her feet i can get milk from her again. After the first 2 days, i started to milk her once a day(similar to what you're doing) and I did this for 4 weeks. She was hardly producing anything at all by that time. About 1 cup a day.

I will say, I never did get it back fully. I got from giving 1 cup to giving 4 cups but that was it. I upped her grain(alfalfa, calf manna, BOSS, and sweetfeed mix) I only gave her alfalfa hay. And i milked every single time I went out there. Usually 4-5 times. So I would up her grain(if you feed her that) and give alfalfa pellets. You can also try herbal supplements such as Mo'Milk. I have heard that works well!

She may not produce as much as she usually does, and she may just dry up. I would just keep doing what you are doing and up her feed/calcium.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will look into the Mo’Milk - I use Molly’s dewormer and have loved that. I’ll grab some BOSS too. Really appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi NigerianDwarfOwner. Thanks for replying, and I appreciate the tip! I will look into Milkmaid - I’ve never heard of Firmeadow before, but I’m willing to try something new.

Why do you prefer Milkmaid over Mo’Milk?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
Hi NigerianDwarfOwner. Thanks for replying, and I appreciate the tip! I will look into Milkmaid - I've never heard of Firmeadow before, but I'm willing to try something new.

Why do you prefer Milkmaid over Mo'Milk?
Because I like and trust Katherine (Fir Meadows) more than Molly. Her herbs are just better, she just knows goats more. She puts in more ingredients for a broader spectrum, has dosing down to the tee, and I trust all of her formulas immensely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts