Any way to ramp production back up after starting to dry off a doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Feira426, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Hello. I’m new here, so hoping I’m doing this right.

So basically, I was doing an experiment in preparation for us being gone two and a half days later this month. I wanted to see if I could decrease my doe’s production enough that I could leave her for two and a half days without having to ask someone to milk her for me. I followed instructions for drying off, and my plan was to just MOSTLY dry her off but keep milking her a little bit, so essentially decrease production by a lot but not completely.

I got her production down and then proceeded to try to get it back up a little, but I’m not sure it’s working. Production seems to be decreasing still. I’m hoping I didn’t just rob myself of milk from her for the next year.

I did find someone willing to learn to milk them while we’re away, so now the only issue is getting production ramped back up before she dries off completely. I thought I’d start with milking her all the way out 2-3 times a day (I’ve been milking once per day - she’s only just weaned her babies). Not sure what else I could try so I thought I’d ask some experts.

2. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    I did this(kinda) with a boer doe in may(?) I believe. She had quads and got milk fever right after kidding, as well as lost a lot of weight. I wanted to keep her milking so that way when she was back on her feet i can get milk from her again. After the first 2 days, i started to milk her once a day(similar to what you're doing) and I did this for 4 weeks. She was hardly producing anything at all by that time. About 1 cup a day.

I will say, I never did get it back fully. I got from giving 1 cup to giving 4 cups but that was it. I upped her grain(alfalfa, calf manna, BOSS, and sweetfeed mix) I only gave her alfalfa hay. And i milked every single time I went out there. Usually 4-5 times. So I would up her grain(if you feed her that) and give alfalfa pellets. You can also try herbal supplements such as Mo'Milk. I have heard that works well!

She may not produce as much as she usually does, and she may just dry up. I would just keep doing what you are doing and up her feed/calcium.

Feira426 likes this.

3. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will look into the Mo’Milk - I use Molly’s dewormer and have loved that. I’ll grab some BOSS too. Really appreciate the tips.

4. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Hi NigerianDwarfOwner. Thanks for replying, and I appreciate the tip! I will look into Milkmaid - I’ve never heard of Firmeadow before, but I’m willing to try something new.

Why do you prefer Milkmaid over Mo’Milk?

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Because I like and trust Katherine (Fir Meadows) more than Molly. Her herbs are just better, she just knows goats more. She puts in more ingredients for a broader spectrum, has dosing down to the tee, and I trust all of her formulas immensely.