The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi Eerybody,
I was recently looking at my goat book and they said that a Billy block is good for the bucks before they breed. I was wondering if they are necessary and has anybody had experience with them? @healthyishappy @mariarose
Thank You,
@PetLover

Nope no clue.
Btw when you call me into a thread I'm not getting any alerts.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Sure if you want to basically give them candy. A high quality loose mineral is what they need at all times. I'd also be curious what book actually said that that Billy block is good.

If you are using the app, you don't get any alerts.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'm not using the app either. I've started looking at new posts and trying to divine where I might help. I'm sure I'm missing some replies and shout-outs...

@PetLover we are serious about wanting to know what book that is.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
This was in the description of the book: "Easier and cheaper to keep than many larger animals,"

I'd probably take everything with a grain of salt and verify any info with other sources. You should do that anyway with any source. But to promote that Billy block does kind of blow my mind from someone who looks like an expert with writing a book

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Waste of money, the block and the book, apparently.

I'm not criticizing you, @PetLover
I'm just glad you reached out to ask. When you don't have a lot of money, it is important that it be put to good use. I don't consider them good use for limited funds, but it isn't toxic or anything. Hugs. Thanks for the name of the book.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Waste of money, the block and the book, apparently.

I'm not criticizing you, @PetLover
I'm just glad you reached out to ask. When you don't have a lot of money, it is important that it be put to good use. I don't consider them good use for limited funds, but it isn't toxic or anything. Hugs. Thanks for the name of the book.
I agree that the bolk is a waste. I really am debating getting that massive book from Amazon can't remember what it's called but it's a 200 dollars. I think it would be super helpful!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,618 Posts
Not sure if this would be any help, but I would really recommend this book by Gianaclis Caldwell called "Holistic Goat Care". Even if you aren't in to the natural side of goat care it is ridiculously helpful and practical about the whole approach to caring for goats. I've found it to be a wonderful resource.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My parents got me it for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was really nice of your parents. As you learn more, you'll be able to better assess the good stuff from the iffy stuff in there. Make a note in your book when you learn better, like about the Billy Block not really helping a buck leading up to breeding time.

It's YOUR book, and you already own it, so why not make it more accurate?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My parents got me it for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to Amazon, and used the "Look Inside" feature to do some reading. I did not see the Billy Block part, and the whole book was not available to read (obviously!). Overall, what I read was really-good to not-awful. I think you can glean some good stuff in it and maybe just be willing to look up some stuff elsewhere.

The "at less expense" quip Karen referenced above did leave me scratching my head... Because the author did seem to have more experience with goats than that statement indicates!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts