Anybody had Safeguard not work for tapeworms?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have Safeguard on hand, the kind packaged for goats, and about to embark upon a 3-day course for my small herd since they have all now been exposed to tapeworm. Our vet was going to order in Valbazen for us, but if Safeguard is just as effective against tapeworm I will use what I have now. Anybody had Safeguard not work for tapeworm? I'm not worried about other types of worms right now because they've all gotten Cydectin (except prego) and Ivermec recently. Just the tapeworm because I never want to see another one again. Thank you!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Safeguard/Panacur both have the wormer Febendazole as the active ingredient, unfortunately due to it's over use it has become a resistant wormer here. My vet has reccommended the use of Praziquantel for tapeworms, it is in paste wormers with the brand names of Equimax and Zimectrin Gold.
    My local TSC carries both though the Equimax is cheaper.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Liz, is the Equimax safe on pregnant does?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Equimax has 1.87% ivermectin and 14.03% praziquantel and is labled as safe for pregnant mares so I would say it's safe for pregnant goats.

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, Liz! I was just looking at the Zimectrin Gold and Equimax. I love horse wormers. :p I wish they had the Quest Plus still around (monidectin plus the praziquantel). I know we dose the ivermectin 3x the weight for goats, does this apply with the added praziquantel? The Equimax also has double the amount of the praziquantel as Zimectrin Gold (from what I've read it is safe for pregos, too). I will pick up some Eqiumax tomorrow and I guess I'll just dump my safeguard on the ground.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The ONLY thing I read with a warning on the praziquantel was that when it's given in high doses (10x higher) in pregnant dogs that it caused birth defects and abortion. It had said that the Equimax was safely given to mares, stallions and very young foals with no adverse affects.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes with all horse wormers you want to triple the goats weight. (except for quest)

as to safeguard not being effective - it can still be in some areas. And when you do give it you want to give it a the triple the weight dosage and then for three days in a row.

My friend had good results with the ZimectrinGold though :)

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Safeguard is not really effective here either. I have used Eqimax in the past and it worked very well for getting rid of tape worms.

9. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    So you pretend the goat weights 300 pounds instead of 100 for dosing?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes...get an accurate weight on the goat, if it weighs 75 lbs, multiply by 3 to get the weight for the dose. The goat would be dosed for 225#

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
  12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Is that triple the safeguard labeled for goats as well, or just the safeguard labeled for horses?
    I just dosed everybody with equimax, 3x the dose for everybody except chipper's mother, Bandi, and she got 4x the dose. I read 6mg/kg will wipe out tapeworms in a single dose and it's packaged at 1.5 mg/kg praziquantel for the horses (that's how I came up with 4x). She's the only one who got slight runs from the safeguard. Go figure. :roll: I'm going to watch everybody's poops like a hawk tomorrow.
    The Equimax was a little harder than most horse wormers to dose because each tick is 110 lbs versus the 50 lbs in some of the others that makes it easier for the smaller guys.
    Also gave everybody their second day of Safeguard (just following the goat label). I know, overkill, but I had to do something to make me feel pro-active right now.
    Thank you everyone!

13. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Something to consider when deciding the dosage of Equimax or Zimecterin Gold is that there is nearly twice as much praziquantel in the Equimax as opposed to Zimecterin Gold.

Equimax: 1.87% ivermectin/14.03% praziquantel
    Zimecterin Gold: 1.87% ivermectin/7.75% praziquantel

Just an FYI.

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I am absolutely thrilled to report that nobody has any evidence of tapeworm or segments nearly 24 hours after worming! :cool: :leap: I especially followed Bandi around since her baby is the one who died of tapeworm large intestine blockage, and I sifted through her poo like some obsessed lunatic. Nothing, nada. :clap: Her stools are slightly runny but turning more clumpy tonight and our prego doe was a little clumpy (like she always is after worming). The five others (3-4 months in age ranges) didn't have any poop changes at all. I guess it may be true then that adult goats aren't affected like the babies can be with tapeworms. I would have expected Bandi to be full of them. Everybody's eating good and feeling good, so tonight I am breathing better.

15. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    We used to raise boar goats three years ago and lost three of them. It rained alot that year. The safeguard does not work in our area. Vet told us about other wormers and helped save the rest of our herd. Some people lost 100s that year. Vet told us to switch different wormer each worming when we have a wet season and worm often about every two weeks. Now we raise nigerians, we use the ivermectin. If it rains again like it did 3 years ago, we're gonna watch these guys close.

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, MrKamir. It has rained quite a bit this year, much more than normal. I can hardly keep up with keeping the grass mowed. Our yard needs it again and was just mowed three days ago. I will definitely keep an even closer watch when it's wetter than normal for the season. I am about to buy a microscope to run my own fecals, and I appreciate you sharing about checking/worming them more often. I wasn't aware of more rain causing an increase in the wormloads. Thank you so much! :hug:

17. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was just going to post a question about worming, glad I saw this post! When do you worm the babies is my question. I am going to worm mom and was going to get the Zimectrin Gold when I went to TSC today. I need to pick up the CDT to vaccinate also. Should I give the babies the CDT now or do I wait for that until they are a month old?

18. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    People who worm on a schedule often worm babies at about 20 days old the first time along with begining coccidia prevention. If you are vaccinating, at 1-1/2 months old first CDT, then again at 3 months.

19. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    SafeGuard seems to be working in NC but to be on the "safe" side I alternate de-wormers What i have found effective is Hoeggers herbal worm powder. I have seen a big difference since using it 4 years ago, I mix the powder with molasses and make a stiff dough, form it into a one inch thick block that I store in the frig. All I have to do is cut off hunks about 1x1 and they love the stuff and chew it right up. I like this method as I know how much they are getting.

20. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks for the help, I will follow that schedule, taking a fecal to the vet to have mom checked before worming her.