Anybody have this book? Explanation as well

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Natural Goat Care by Pat Colby?

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT, I desperately need a lookup in it if anyone has it.

Details later, and not good ones either.

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Re: Anybody have this book?

Oh, I borrowed it from the library a while back. . . it's a pretty good book. I was planning on placing a hold on it - in case you don't find someone to look up the info soon, I can later.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I have it.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Ashley, would you look up for me the dose given for the copper sulphate solution used to treat lungworms?

The dosing I followed came from that book and was printed in the catalog under the item.

I will be a bit occupied in the next few hours, but will come back.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

hope evereythings ok liz :worried:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thank you Ashley.

The reason why I needed the info for this subject is because I thot it would help with giving an answer to a doseage amount.

As most of you have likely read, I am having a copper deficiency with my girls, the black does are showing the classic red color to their hair tips and the fish tails, through a good bit of reading as well as help with how to use copper sulphate from another member, I figured that was the best route to go with my little herd of 6.

I ordered the acidified copper sulphate from Hoeggars last Monday, got it on Thursday and proceeded to use the mixing directions given in the item description in the catalog.....1 Teaspoon to 30 cc or 1 ounce of water, drenched individually. Mrs. Hoeggar relies on the book mentioned to treat her own goats so the doseage instructions came from that book.

I proceeded to drench my girls, First Bootsie, then Binky, then Angel, Tilly Heidi and Bailey....in that order.
    Within 15to 20 minutes Bailey was acting wierd, stretching and then flopping down, staggering and Heidi followed suit within 5 minutes of Bailey, I pannicked because I was not sure if wether they SHOULD be acting this way with this "med" as the others were doing fine. Stacey...Bless her heart ....called me after I texted her then got hold of Ashley who said to get activated charcoal and MOM into Bailey and Heidi asap.....Staceyt was on the phone with me while I did this. After about 20 minutes the girls were doing better, even better that night. Tilly also got the MOM as she was looking "puffed" up 4 hours later, I gave everyone a dose of probiotics and continually checked on them throughout Saturday nite, Angel was looking Dopey around 1 am Sunday and she only ate half her grain on the stand as well as just gave a minimal amount of milk at 6 30 sunday morning, I was able to come home to check them at 11 30 from work and they all drank a gopod amount of water, Tilly refused hay which is not like her at all. Sunday afternoon all were great except Tilly, she refused the alfalfa pellets but would eat fresh pulled grass when I offered it to her, I gave her more probiotics and prayed for her to come around. I took her temp at 11 pm and it was 102 so that was good, she was peeing and it was dark but not brown, she drank and got up to get a drink. I left the shed to go to bed around midnite, when I got up at 5 30 this morning she was gone. She layed down in front of the door with her daughter Heidi next to her and passed. I didn't see that she struggled, she was just gone and I think it happened not long after I left them. Eric and I just finished burying her an hour ago, Heidi is looking for her mom and crying, I just feel so rotten that the dose was too concentrated that I gave them, even though I followed the directions.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh hunny - I am SOOOOO sorry. I wish that I was there with you to help you and give you a big hug and a shoulder.

I know that there is nothing that I can say to change the feelings of loss - but know that I am here to talk with if you would like. :hug: :hug: :sigh: :hug:

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Awwww :( I am so sorry for your loss! :tears:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: sorry.

good thing you contacted hoeggers..

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Liz, I am so very sorry for you loss.

:grouphug:

11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Very sorry to hear that you lost her... :( :hug:

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Liz, I have that book at home. I can get the book when I get home and let you know.

Looks like maybe Ashley will be able to give you the information before I get home.

13. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Liz,

I'm SO sorry to hear about Tilly :hug: :hug: ... If there is anything you need, don't hesitate to call.

Becky

14. Candy

Candy New Member

Oh Liz, I'm so-o-o sorry for your loss of Tilly. :hug: :hug: :hug: Thank God the others are OK :pray: I know I don't have to tell you but, my tears are mingled with yours. :mecry:
    Candy

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you all so much :hug: :love:

Losing them is a part of loving them, I know this, but when it is by your own hand unintentionally, it seems to be that much harder :hug:

Believe me when I say that this was a hard lesson learned, I just Thank God that I had Ashley and Stacey's help, otherwise I could have had to dig more holes :(

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your loss Liz :hug:

I don't mean to contradict but are you sure it was from the copper? Or do you think it was because it wasn't pure copper sulfate? I never had a problem :shrug:

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The only other ingredients in this was sodium bicarbonate and citric acid....basically baking soda and vitamin C, which they all have had before.

18. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Vitamin C is Ascorbic acid...I think citric acid is just a preservative--it should not have caused a problem.

I too have used copper sulfate without any trouble, however, I used the same dose Liz did on a 200lb goat. I never thought about changing the dosage according to the size of the goat either...I just was lucky that I used it on a large goat I guess....

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh my word Liz.....I am so very sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how you are feeling about this.....I was just looking at the Hoeggers catalog this weekend and even considered ordering some of the copper sulfate......how awful!

I just called and talked to them today about giving my little guys the immune booster Bovi-Serum and they highly suggested it and I gave it....You were only doing what you thought was a good thing for your goaties, don't be hard on yourself. The whole time I was giving my little guys the injections today I was praying that I was doing the right thing.
    I just can not express how bad I feel for you :hug:, Denise

20. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am so so sorry...those kind of lessons can be so very hard. I had a somewhat similar situation last fall when I accidentally overdosed 3 kids with a crappy dewormer paste and lost all three that evening....it was a tough lesson.