Anybody know what kind of worms

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nancy d, Jan 10, 2008.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Does anybody know what kind of worms and where I can find a pic of them? Fiasco only has microscopic ones.

Every few days there are these little white skinny worms at the bottom of the rubber water tubs. Tubs get emptied about every other day & scrubbed out weekly.

These little guys are more than half the diameter of a pinhead, some are half inch long and some much shorter.

Last worming was Sept (ivomec) They are due again but Im very curious as to what these are...do goats cough them into the water as they are drinking or what?

BTW barn cats are the only other animals using their tub,who have never been wormed. :oops:
    Thanks!

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

do they look like little grains of rice?
    beth

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    No, they are maybe an 1 1/2 inches long down to1/8" assuming those arebabies. Sorry don't know the terms for it. Like extra fine saffron threads but not flat.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

the only thing i can think of is possibly tapeworms that have broken off in segments
    beth

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Man you guys are fast!

Dumb q but how did they get in the water? Goats cough out there normal goat cough but Ive never seen anyone hacking over the water.

The shorter worms seem like they are fairly uniform. Some alive & some dead.

If they are tapes wouldn't someone be looking pretty rough and skinny?

6. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    You know in case it is tapeworms you could give the goat safeguard paste for 3 days, couldn't hurt. Then follow up with your regular worming program.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not sure, I have never actually seen the worms, but i know tapeworms are segmented and they can break off in pieces, i don't know that they would look rough or not. If the worms are from your goats and they are coughing them up they may be lumg worms. But like you i could only find microscopic pistures of worms. What have you used for wormer int he last few months?
    beth

8. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Beth, been using Ivomec orally, one cc pr 50lbs. Been wondering if it could be lung worms!!?? Not knowing a whole lot, would assume that if they were tapes theyd be coming from the other end.

ETA..Several are a month away from kidding

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I worm my goats throughout the pregnancy, i know a lot of people say don't do it but i find that when you don't they have a harder time oming back from kidding because they have a build up of parisites. Especially if you live in a climate where its wet all winter long. I live in western washingotn and we do get several nights of good cold freezes but more often its just wet and muddy here. and while my goats do have hay feeders they still eat off the ground.
    I alternate between three different types of wormer ivermecting panacure (safegaurd) and valbazen. I also throw another wormer in there twice a year, can;t remember what its called right now I only use it a couple times a year, but its for round worms. which we seem to have a problem with here.
    I worm every ninety days and if i feel one particular goat is wwormy i will do her again ten days later as worms hav an incubation period of ten days. Most if not all wormers kill the parisites but not the eggs.
    when pregnant i only worm with safegaurd and ivemectin as those are the two that i know are aproved for pregnant goats.
    You may want to have a fecal done on your goats to see just what kind of worms they have if its not your cat! or if you have a microscope you can do a fecal yourself. Someday this is what i would like to do. As soon as i can afford a microscope.
    hope this helps bit
    beth

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You have helped quite a bit! We live just down the road from you outside of everett, so boy do I ever hear you about the muck! Mine don't genreally eat off the ground but they do like to get into the stuff that falls thru the bars into the catcher or the ground.
    Next project is to get my own fecal set up. Tomorrow is worming day!!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe those are round worms Nancy.

I will work on getting you a picture to see if that is the case

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Remember, Nancy, you don't want to worm for the sake of worming. It won't hurt to worm everyone for worms as Rockytop said, but you shouldn't worm everyone with ivermectin unless they need it. If eyelids are pale or light pink, worm. Medium pink can go either way. Nice deep pink, they don't need it. The worms can build resistance to the wormer.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Julie the eyelids I checked were great red color.

Im not into worming for worming sake just because it "should" be every 3 mos regardless, but it is time....on the other hand I know that worm loads really show up on kidding day.....so its either now or wait till then. Decisions decisions......

Thanks for those links Stacey!! Looking them up now!

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LOL I don't know why i didn't look at where you were from. I grew up out your way just outside of Monroe, We only moved to Whidbey about eleven years ago. I went to monroe schools for some time and live in snohomish for a long time as well. We lived in the Robinhood park area (if its still even called that) What kind of goats do you own?
    beth

16. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Whahahahah!
    We are just outside Snohomish! Ive heard of Robinhood park but for the life of me can't recall exactly where!
    Gee did you ever go to Dans Main St Grilla on your lunch break? A friend of mine owns the place, only now it is called Papa Mia's.
    We have Boer goats, a Nubian and a couple of her off spring.

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Not that i recall, but i was still in school. I know we went to the little rosevelt store sometimes. monroe has grown so much in the last few years. We moved there in 89 when there was a single stop light in the town. HA. When we left in 96 there was a blockbuster a best western the fred meyer was new, now i know that whole entire strip is totally built up now. I can't believ how much it has grown just in a few years. Robin hood park is up by chainlake elementery. Thats where i went to school at. was the first class to go through there. I can't believe there is a big apartment complex across from there now. It used to be a sheep field. We used to be able to walk through the woods at the back of our property and get there.
    I havn't been to monroe now in a couple of years. We are hoping to hit the monroe dairy goat show in june though. Or whenever they have it this year.
    Small world huh...
    beth

18. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yeah its "growed up" Traffic horrendous. Do you mean the Evergreen Fair? Its usually at the end of Aug.

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I don't know if i will attend the fair or not. well see, though its after our fair and before puyallup. But there is a dairy goat show there every year i think in june. I usually just go to watch we don't take animals. Its a pain with the traffic and the ferry with a horse trailer.
    I recall traffic being awful took us like an hour to get through town, blah lol.
    beth