The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Boer/Nigerian cross doe that throws beautiful kids when crossed back on a Boer buck. Can’t tell much difference between them and the full boers in size. She also has a nice bag and milks a ton. We run goats on the desert and out of all of them she basically stays the fattest and can eat basically nothing. So I was going to cross my Boer and Nubian doelings back on my registered Nigerian buck and see what I get. Mostly looking for smaller goats that throw good sized babies and don’t eat a lot and have good feed conversion. Anybody purposefully breed this cross?

·
Super Moderator
35,075 Posts
My daughter bred her boer doe to my nigie buck. They were cute. They went to pet homes so no idea how big they got..while Here they sure were chunky little things.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I have been contemplating finding a full size doe (don't care a whole lot about breed) to breed with my Nigie buck.
But for the same reason. A little more milk, hardy and able to eat a bit less than my former herd.

·
Super Moderator
35,075 Posts
I love my mini saanen and mini lamancha.

Reactions: Lil Boogie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Goat people consensus is that growth rate comes from the father.

I've always been too afraid to use a small buck so not sure if its actually true :p

I can tell ya that some of my smaller rangeland x does make huge kids when bred to boer type bucks so I wouldnt be surprised if you got a couple of whoppers.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Crossing a Nigerian Dwarf to a Boer likely wouldn’t be ideal for meat production nor milk production. ND X Nubian is used to create mini-nubians, and many people love them for milk purposes.

·
Registered
Horses, goats, chicken
91 Posts
I bought a little 40lb Nigerian/pygmy cross doe, who was sadly bred to a 250lb boer. Which in the end resulted in a c section and me losing my goat. But... I do have a very cute little doeling from the situation. No idea how she will grow up to be. She will have a forever home with me though.
Plant Tree Grass Natural landscape Fawn

Plant Working animal Dog breed Fawn Tree

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,534 Posts
I had the cross before. NEVER again. They were good pets .... That's it

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts