The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battling mites again, and this time Ivermectin shots and Lime-Sulfur bath don't seem to be working too well. I've read some interesting studies about Bravecto being really effective against mites on dogs (and wombats lol) and I wondered if anyone has tried using it on their goat? It does require a prescription, looks like.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,697 Posts
I'd be concerned about using something like that without knowing the dosage for goats. Also don't know how you'd get a vet to give you the prescription.

Have you tried ivermectin pour on? NuStock is a great addition and daily garlic wouldn't hurt. Are you also absolutely sure it's a mite problem and not zinc deficiency?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of why I asked, hoped someone else had bravely gone first, as I have not read any studies for goats. The ones I've read on pubmed for Bravecto and mites were for dogs, wombat, and hamster and all followed the same dosage which equates to 11.4mg/lb. Unfortunately the one vet I knew who might have been willing to try something new, has retired. I think I'll call the one remaining vet that is an hour away and see if they have any suggestions or have heard of anyone trying Bravecto on a goat.

I did do a course of Ivermectin pour-on in early March hoping it would be "pre-emptive." Not. So, after he started showing symptoms I've done:

4/16 Ivermectin SQ 1cc/40 lbs
4/18 Frontline Spray
4/23 Ivermectin SQ
4/29 Lime-Sulfur bath
4/30 Ivermectin SQ

Of course nothing is as definitive as a skin scraping - but, he is showing all the signs he did last year except major hair loss as I assume I have caught it early enough: stomping his feet, biting his feet, laying down and scratching his belly and scrotum areas, biting his sides, whipping his tail around in an agitated manner/jumping forward oddly (last year the mites attacked his butt which I think makes him do this last weird action.) Worse on a warm afternoon.

I'm pretty sure it can't be zinc deficiency as he gets Replamin Gel Plus weekly, free choice Goat Manna mineral, Sweetlix mineral in his food 3x/week, and ZinPro 4Plex C 2x/week.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but he also gets Zinpro 4Plex C twice a week in addition to the Replamin - I'd be a bit hesitant to add more on top of both of those plus regular minerals...

Zinpro 4 Plex C:
Guaranteed Analysis
Zinc (Zn) not less than51,500 ppm (5.15%)
Manganese (Mn) not less than28,600 ppm (2.86%)
Copper (Cu) not less than18,000 ppm (1.80%)
Cobalt (Co) not less than3,600 ppm (0.36%)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update in case anyone else has this question/problem. I ended up taking him to the vet, and we changed from Ivermectin to Eprinex 1 cc/22 lbs every 2 weeks for 2-3 applications, plus continuing the Frontline monthly (altho only applied to "hot spot areas" per vet's instruction this last time). This finally has seemed to help tons.

This vet office (3 vet livestock practice) has not used Bravecto on goats - and, after a bit more reading about it not sure I would risk it anyway as I guess it can cause some pretty bad reactions in dogs. I did also discover the active ingredient fluralaner.is marketed in other countries for treating chickens for red mites - brand name Exzolt, probably coming to the U.S. at some point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts