The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This product: https://horseprerace.com/toltrazuril-oral-powder-10g/

Having a hard time getting it dissolved. Spoke with the company and they offered to replace it but didn't offer any further guidance. I'm going to try to get a different human on the phone from them, but meanwhile, anybody here used it?

The granules stick horrendously inside the package and inside any mixing container you try to pour them into. Then they just float in the water, not dissolve. The consistency doesn't seem to be conducive to using dry either. I'm hoping I just got a bad batch and that is why they offered to replace it. You mix 10g with 200mL to make the normal Toltrazuril 5% liquid (or you would... if the dang stuff would dissolve.)

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Hum, I didn't even know they had a powder...Have you tried an emulsifier blender? Start with a little of the powder and water to make a thick pudding like blend, add more water then add more powder and so forth? Not sure if that would work, just a thought
I would accept a replacement and see how the next bag does.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have not tried it BUT I was really having issues with corid and it would chunk up or just float to the bottom no matter how much I stirred it. I ended up putting in a Gatorade bottle and shaking the heck out of it and that seems to do the trick. Maybe see if that works????

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did try shaking but not an emulsifier. Thanks for the suggestions! So it's 10 grams of powder which is NOT much and for some reason it was packaged with this like 1/4 cup plastic scoop in the packet. And the dang powder clinging to the scoop and corner of bags etc. One touch and your entire finger is white, tried a damp spatula, oh damn, probably just treated my whole kitchen for coccidia. I ended up dumping what I could, plus the scoop, in an empty peanut butter jar, adding the 200mL water, scraping the packet with spatula into jar, then shaking for all my worth.

When I put my syringe in to get a dose, o get water white liquid plus TONS of gloopy powder on the outside. It's crazy. Did 6 kids of prevention last night, but I don't feel confident!

@CountyLineAcres I sure hope my packet is a fluke for your sake!

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Some things combine better in hot water....maybe try warmer water.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
What a head ache for you...
but once you figure it out for all of us..I will order some :clever:

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I just mixed it tonight! I used an emulsifier, and it helped blend it a lot more. I know exactly what you mean. It is very powdery. I didn’t draw any up - just put it in the jug and let it sit. I’m wondering if it needs to soak to break up those beads? Funny thing is that I had an old bottle of Toltrazuril from before that I filled up with the concoction, and it isn’t as full as a brand new bottle. Idk how or why because I definitely added 200mL of water!

I’ll check it tomorrow to see if it is still powdery. Definitely a strange experience....

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just mixed it up in 200 ml in a Nutrasystem shaker. Works like charm.
@DonnaBelle66 - did powder/granules stick to the inside of the packaging? After using the shaker, did it look like the liquid Toltrazuril you buy or still watery looking?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks! Also, if I understand correctly, you all recommend dosing kids as a prophylactic against an outbreak of coccidia? How old should the kids be when I do this?
I am still a newbie. Just had my first doe freshen Friday. She is a pro, thank goodness! Twins and mom are both doing well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts