Anyone bottle feed part time?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jodief100, Mar 16, 2011.

1. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I have twins that were born the other night to an older doe. I do not think she is producing enough milk for the both of them. Exclusive bottle feeding is not an option.

Has anyone had any sucess with feeding a baby a bottle once a day and leaving him with his dam the rest of the day to nurse? Any suggestions on how to do it?

I am leaving them in the kidding pen and feeding mamma as much grain as she can handle for now.

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have a doe who had four bucks. I'm supplementing them with a bottle and helping her feed them herself a couple times a day also. She was completely overwhelmed by being piled on by four ravenous boys. So I give them each a little extra milk twice a day and also put her on the stand twice a day and she gets two in there with her at a time. All five of them are much happier and they are all doing really well.

They were two weeks old when I started this and they all took a bottle willingly, I think they were hungry.

Jan

3. jglfainters

jglfainters New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Nevada
    I had a doe with triplets. One huge buckling and much smaller buckling and doeling so I would supplement the smaller 2 with a bottle 2X a day to start and then when they got older once a day.

It worked out great for us and they both grew up very healthy. They took to the bottle really easily and looked forward to my kids coming out with bottles everyday. They had no problem going back and forth between bottle and mom.

It may have not been necessary, but it made me feel better since they were so much smaller to start with.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I was also thinking about this....

Ive heard of breeders doing this with sucess. So id really like to try it...

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do this when my doe has quads. I give one bottle in the morning and one at night.