The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Horses, goats, chicken
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet Himalayan mix cat who is 8 years old, was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney failure. I'm now administering IV fluid at home to combat his dehydration. Finally got him eating on his own. But drinking very little. I'd like to hear stories of other people's kitties who suffered from this too!

This is Yoshi. Sunbathing today while I was gardening.
Plant Cat Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Yoshi is beautiful! :love:
None of our cats have been diagnosed with CKD, but we have one with megacolon and one with hyperthyroidism. They are both 12 years old.

Maybe you would be interested in a CKD forum? Here is one: support groups.io Group
I joined a feline megacolon forum when our cat was diagnosed (he was 8 at the time) and it has been super helpful.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Poor kitty… he’s very pretty ❤
hopefully the fluids will help him out. Sometimes I take the liquid from tuna cans and add 2-3 parts water to it (keep in fridge) and put smaller dish out at a time so they can intake a little more liquid willingly. My cat was having some issues (nothing diagnosed) but she recovered from it after drinking more.

·
Registered
Horses, goats, chicken
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The IV fluids are helping!!! He went from looking quite grim, to eating and drinking on his own today. I hand fed him the first 2 days, since he refused to eat. He has actually gained about a half a pound since Monday. I will continue with his IV fluids every 8 hours or at least 2 times a day, until his bag is gone. Currently waiting for the vet to call me back about the rest of his blood work. She prescribed him a prescription kidney food, Pro plan NF advanced care. Figured he will be ok on it since we already feed pro plan. I started him on boiled chicken and rice, and add alot of water to it. He seems to really enjoy it!

·
Registered
Horses, goats, chicken
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor kitty… he’s very pretty ❤
hopefully the fluids will help him out. Sometimes I take the liquid from tuna cans and add 2-3 parts water to it (keep in fridge) and put smaller dish out at a time so they can intake a little more liquid willingly. My cat was having some issues (nothing diagnosed) but she recovered from it after drinking more.
Oh yeah! I did the tuna water yesterday. Also gave him some of the broth after I boiled his chicken in it.

·
Registered
Horses, goats, chicken
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yoshi is beautiful! :love:
None of our cats have been diagnosed with CKD, but we have one with megacolon and one with hyperthyroidism. They are both 12 years old.

Maybe you would be interested in a CKD forum? Here is one: support groups.io Group
I joined a feline megacolon forum when our cat was diagnosed (he was 8 at the time) and it has been super helpful.
Very informative site I found from that! Thank you! Kind of gave me peace to read some of that! Almost gives me hopes he can live a few good years longer if we can battle the dehydration and keep him eating! 🥰 he is a fighter!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts