Anyone else having problems? -breeding goats-

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fcnubian, Oct 27, 2007.

1. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Anyone having problems with getting their does bred?

I have 3 pygmy does and 2 nubian does I want bred this year.

I could never catch Frostie and Precious in standing heat so I finally gave up and let them run with the buck on and off for a few months. So their due dates are pretty much unknown. Which I hate.GRR. Nica my other doe finally came into standing heat with me outside so I put her in with the buck. She was suppose to come in heat a few days ago and she didnt! Looks like we got kids on the way! :D

I have been checking Frostie and Precious from the end of September up to now, morning and night, no sign of discharge at all and both does always had a good amount of discharge when in heat. SO maybe we'll get to middle of November with no discharge and I can assume they are bred.

NOW my nubians...Both girls were caught in standing heat but my buck isn't ready to breed them. He knows what he's suppose to do...he just doesn't get he job done. (He's still young.)
    SIGHS.

I really hope he gets them bred by Dec. If he's not ready by then, Cocoa will be breeding them and I really really really really don't want that cross but I want my girls in milk next year incase I decide to go to a show. And I dont have the money to take my girls somewhere to get them bred by a nubian buck.

These guys are just so frustrating at times! :roll:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    don't I know it!

Dover Farms can comiserate with you.

A Kinder is a cute goat but I totaly understand you desire for nubian kids since you do have the option!

How old is your nubian man?

3. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Yup I like kinders but my girls are show quality animals.....not something I want to cross with a PET pygmy. UGH.

Storm is 7 months old. DOB: 4/7/07

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    We put our bucks in last month for 2 months and our young buck just missed a couple. The older buck got everyone. We may not leave them in as long this go round. I would go crazy trying to watch 29 does for heat cycles and then put them in. Our boys were in the field next them beforehand so they were more than ready to get the job done.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Nubians from certain lines, I've read, just tend to not 'be ready' when it comes time to breed. Certain lines with any breed will mature fast or slow.
    My LaMancha buck(same age as yours) so far has bred and gotten pregnant 7 or 8 does so far, he knew what to do. It all depends upon the buck.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

so far we have had three come into standing heat, Cally and chrome were in the same day, but the alpine buck i wanted them bred too was more interested in blubbering at the nubian buck. He is six months old so not exactly sure what he's suposed to do i guess. and then juju cxame in, he finally figured it out with her thank god. So so far we have one out of seven bred.....

beth

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hmmm, my little 6-1/2 month old Nubian buck, has bred about 5 does, and 3 of them are pregnant I think because they haven't been back in that I've seen, and it's well over 21 days. Then I have a 9 month old Nubian buck that is just now "getting ready." He just barely has any smell while the 6-1/2 month old stinks up a storm. So I guess it just depends on the lines and what not.

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Glad everyone else is having success. If my boy isnt ready to breed the girls by December I'll be breeding them to my pygmy buck. Unless I can find a cheap dairy buck (of any breed) for sale. Be nice to find a lamancha buck! Lol. I love lamanchas.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If my doe isn't already bred I no longer have a buck to breed her to.