The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I am building our goats a new barn 12x16 they currently have a 10x8 but this will be turned into hay storage/buck house. I would love to see pictures of what you have. I am really excited to build this on my own as I am a handy person. I am also redoing the pasture area as I used 4x4 goat and sheep fencing but discovered it doesn't keep small nigerian kids in so switching to the horse 2x4 fencing. My little dinky born this year thinks the grass is greener on the other side lol.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Plant Building Door Tree Wood
Wood Grass Trunk Automotive tire Garden tool

We just built a barn out of pallets. We don’t even have the goats yet (they’ll get here May 15th). We’re just getting a few dwarf goats, so if things look small or low, they are. I didn’t want to inundate your thread with pics that are only interesting to me, lol. So here’s just one of the outside and one of the main room inside.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thank you. Like you, I’m getting ND goats, so I went with the 2x4 horse fencing as well.

The barn turned out better than I expected but it was a pain. I even have hot water in the med/milk room and internet so I can have cameras in there.

In my mind, everything is simple, then I go to build and everything is complicated. But unlike you, I’m not particularly handy. So it’ll likely go a lot smoother for you. This was a frustrating (but in the end, rewarding) learning experience for me.

What are you thinking of building for your 12x16 barn? Is it a pole barn? Metal? Wood? Sorry for all the questions. I’m just curious. And if you want to share pics of your goats and donkey and any other future residents of the barn, I certainly wouldn’t complain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is currently my setup but I will be taking down the shorter building to hard to clean. Im building the new one on skids, 2x4's, t11 siding, and metal roof panels. Lumbar is so expensive right now but i want it to be nice. Dinky is one of our tiny kids lol. I do also have 2 cameras which is so nice to have especially when kidding comes around. Ill post pictures when the building starts.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
We just built a barn out of pallets. We don’t even have the goats yet (they’ll get here May 15th). We’re just getting a few dwarf goats, so if things look small or low, they are. I didn’t want to inundate your thread with pics that are only interesting to me, lol. So here’s just one of the outside and one of the main room inside.
Nice job on the pallet barn. A lot of the time things built with pallets look like ... well ... a pile of pallets. Yours looks professionally built. Can't have too many pics.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Nice job on the pallet barn. A lot of the time things built with pallets look like ... well ... a pile of pallets. Yours looks professionally built. Can't have too many pics.
Aw, thanks. I literally put blood, sweat, and tears in it but I’m happy with how it turned out.

This is currently my setup but I will be taking down the shorter building to hard to clean. Im building the new one on skids, 2x4's, t11 siding, and metal roof panels. Lumbar is so expensive right now but i want it to be nice. Dinky is one of our tiny kids lol. I do also have 2 cameras which is so nice to have especially when kidding comes around. Ill post pictures when the building starts.
Lol, my bad. Dinky the goat.
That’ll be really nice. We’re thinking of building our future buck barn on skids. Definitely want pics once you start!

·
Registered
728 Posts
With the cost of lumber now triple of what it was a year ago, pallet construction may be the way to go for smaller shelters. Most can be had for free.
I totally agree. I use pallets whenever I can. Lots of free ones around. My problem is getting a bunch that are the same size. Most of the free ones I can find are odd sizes.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
With the cost of lumber now triple of what it was a year ago, pallet construction may be the way to go for smaller shelters. Most can be had for free.
So true, that’s what made me decide to go for pallet construction. Of course, we still had to pay for the long sturdy posts to support the frame and the lumber for the roof, but using the pallets for everything else saved a ton.

Now we’ve ordered a sawmill. We have a lot of forest on our property that really needs to be thinned. So hopefully our next build will be from lumber we mill ourselves.

I totally agree. I use pallets whenever I can. Lots of free ones around. My problem is getting a bunch that are the same size. Most of the free ones I can find are odd sizes.
I ran into the same issue and had to pay to get decent pallets of similar sizes. It was only a couple bucks per pallet, so it was still way more cost effective than buying all that lumber.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts