The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taggin the gow today made me think.... i wonder if we could fly tag the goats too. Last year i sprayed them with two different sprays (not at the same time though)... one was doterra terra shield spray that i made with vodka and the other was an all natural horse spray. I ised the horse when i had run out of doterra for a bit. I think i had do it bout every three days. As they would run out the stall they each got a spray down their toplines. Or if the flies were really bad i caught collars and did toplines and legs. It worked well we jus had do it frequently.

The fly tag on the cow is supposed to keep them away from their faces more than anything but it does help on the body some. The tales of fly tags in cows.... if flies are buggin the cows face it wont sleep well or eat well jus tryin keep the flies off their faces... so sickly cow. I will watch Hope to see if it keeps them off her legs and body too.. but iirc when we had cows here before it didnt do so much for the body. If that is the case she will jus get her legs and body sprayed like everyone else.

So i am just curious if anyone has done it on goats and the results. Or if a spray when they need it is really the best way. My googlefu turned up nadda for fly tagging a goat and none of my books have anything on it either.

This is our Hope the Dope with her new bling. Madder than a wet hornet but she was SO good and did not move for any of our minstrations today. And of course a bit of grain and them yummy licorice treats maked it all better. Such a good girl!

EFCDB981-7244-4E71-962B-5E95FAC04C55.jpeg

·
8,251 Posts
I wondered about that too. (Fly tags on goats). Mine all have collars with their names on them. (I know the controversy about collars all the time, but for me, it works. I'm with them 16 + hrs a day). Anyway, I wondered about the fly tag on their collars? Would they lick or chew them? Would it hurt the milk?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered about that too. (Fly tags on goats). Mine all have collars with their names on them. (I know the controversy about collars all the time, but for me, it works. I'm with them 16 + hrs a day). Anyway, I wondered about the fly tag on their collars? Would they lick or chew them? Would it hurt the milk?
I wouldnt put them on a collar... be afraid they or their friends would chew them. Amd get sick from what is on the tags.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
They don't chew them. I've put them on collars for 3 years now. It does really help.

I haven't this year yet, but I need to.

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Do the fly tags also keep gnats away from goats' face?

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You'd have to read the list of pests on the package to know. Different tags have different targets. They aren't all the same.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
You'd have to read the list of pests on the package to know. Different tags have different targets. They aren't all the same.
Thanks, never even looked at one.lol

Reactions: mariarose

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They don't chew them. I've put them on collars for 3 years now. It does really help.

I haven't this year yet, but I need to.
So do the tags keep them off their whole bodies or mainly the faces and necks? Which tags do you use?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
So do the tags keep them off their whole bodies or mainly the faces and necks? Which tags do you use?
It's only a help, not a complete solution. I still spray living quarters, etc. Things are really bad right now because of all the mud and crap from the flooding Winter, and it is still flooding but now we have Summer heat. And super loose bowels from the fast plant growth. Ugh.

So what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be ONE answer. If you decide to try, then expect to still have issues.

I haven't decided what kind to get this year. I don't get the cheapest by any means, because I want it to work and cheapest never works.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It's only a help, not a complete solution. I still spray living quarters, etc. Things are really bad right now because of all the mud and crap from the flooding Winter, and it is still flooding but now we have Summer heat. And super loose bowels from the fast plant growth. Ugh.

So what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be ONE answer. If you decide to try, then expect to still have issues.

I haven't decided what kind to get this year. I don't get the cheapest by any means, because I want it to work and cheapest never works.
Yes gosh! I so want to ask paul to help me pull out the deep litter beddin tomorrow (oops thirs)... but we gotta go to the dump and he is workin on the new barn addition up there. I just cannot do it by myself. Those jerky lil gnats were out this mornin ugh!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Wind is supposed to help. Any chance you can put fans on them?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wind is supposed to help. Any chance you can put fans on them?
No electric up there yet... our friend is supposed do it soon.... we were waitin til paul got this addition mostly done for him to come. I think i am just gonna pull out as much as i can each mornin. It is time to take away it anyway. Winter they get deep litter and warmer they get shavings in there. I just know by day three i wont be able to move... so i will put a trailer in the fence and go for it like a mad woman for a few days. Lol. Paul works today, tomorrow and fri this week. Hopefully sat or sun if i am not done he can help me. I did put some pdz down this mornin so maybe that will help a bit. He also fixed at the doors to help keep the water from runnin in last week. It did help. It has just been the amount of rain here lately. Usually it doesnt go in their stalls. As much as i am tired of the litter right now it has helped keepin their feet dry cause it is deep enough that the wet has went under it all. So lose win i guess. :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts