The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the dehorning paste today on my 2.5 week buckling, as his little buds were sticking out. He will become a per wether in a few weeks. I held him the 20 minutes and he never screamed... It went very well, I just hope it works. Any success stories out there?

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
It probably won't work. That is too old to be doing the paste. You need to do paste when the buds have just broken through or just about to break through. Usually kids are under 5 days old when you do that.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably won't work. That is too old to be doing the paste. You need to do paste when the buds have just broken through or just about to break through. Usually kids are under 5 days old when you do that.
They just broke through.. I was waiting for that... I checked everyday... felt it last night and did it today.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
It can work, I don't personally like it since they can rub it off on other goats, trees, etc. And in the long run it hurts them more, as it is an acid that eats away at the bud over time.
I do know people who have used it in calves with great success, but calves are SO much easier to disbud, even if you mess up, they still probably won't grow horns.
Goats are much harder to keep horns from growing.

But yes, when done early enough, and when done right, it will work if they don't rub it off. Some people prefer the paste to any other method, some people prefer the scoop method, some people prefer the iron. All work, just a matter of timing and knowledge.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I held him the entire 25 min... He snuggled with me... I didn't want him to rub it off on anything or anyone:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think it might work ok on bottle babies but i would be afraid it would rub off on the mothers. jmo
I took him away from mom and the rest of the herd. He just snuggled with me on my lap at the house, so he couldn't rub any of it on her, or anyone else for that matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts