anyone familiar with SPANISH goats?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by ds622311, Oct 11, 2013.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no, they are Aussie/cashmere

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I am new to this forum so not sure whether to post this here or in fibre goats or elsewhere. I am thinking about purchasing a goat herd and would love to get some feedback.... Such as if they are really spanish.... And any comments on the goats.
    I am fairly new to goats. I have a small trip of myotonics but am looking for a herd of breeding age does that I can breed my bucks to... After a few generations they can be considered myotonics as you can only find a few mature foes here and there.
    I chose Spanish due to their hardiness and similar appearance to fainting goats. With the larger Spanish frame combined with the dense and easy muscling of myotonics I would like to experiment. I am trying to increase the size of my fainting goats.
    This herd has big horns - the buck would be a trophy in Hawaii. Long twisting horns.
    I also chose Spanish due to a desire to preserve rare breeds.
    I am in Canada so it is really hard to find Spanish and we don't have very good record keeping of the breed.
    I only have one picture right now but am getting more tomorrow.
    Some of the herd are white but lots are dark.
    The breeder started his herd a year ago from 2 different sources but he is a trucker on the road a lot and his wife doesn't want to take care of them.
    As you can see they are Spanish *Cashmere* although they were hoping to concentrate on meat traits.
    On flames or nasty comments please. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse New Member

I am not familiar with the Spanish breed, but I will be breeding my Boer doe to a Spanish buck. He is solid black with blue eyes.

3. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    He sounds pretty! Should be a nice breeding. The blue eyes are dominant in myotonics. Probably the same with other goats.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That looks like a pretty herd but I know nothing about Spanish so have no idea if they are or aren't.

5. They are really nice looking, I had no idea they had spanish cashmeres.... actually I think it is a great idea to concentrate on a Native, rare breed! Looking forward to learning more, I think there is a fair amount of them on this coast anyway....

6. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Thanks! Yes, even tho I am not american I appreciate the history of the two more or less American/North American breeds the fainting goats and the Spanish. What happened with the Spanish is almost comparable with what happened to the passenger pigeons. Not so long ago the Spanish were the US meat goats having been in the country for hundreds of years. Now with cross breeding the Spanish have become a rare breed. Its really not so long ago that Boers were introduced.... To go from such huge numbers to around 8000 is sad.
    Yeah the Spanish are neat because they are great producers of meat and fibre (depending on the bloodlines).

7. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Here are some Aussie/Spanish background goats focussing on cashmere fibre production.
    Different flock but I like them too.

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      97.9 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      111.6 KB
      Views:
  8. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Some more pics. Again these are a different flock that I know is Spanish/aussie

Attached Files:

• 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
    • 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      110.4 KB
      Views:
  9. ds622311

ds622311 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    And some more Spanish/Susie that I am interested in getting. Different from the first flock.

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
    • 039.jpg
      039.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
    • 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      106.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse New Member

Those last ones are cute.

11. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    All the Spanish goats I've ever seen were black

12. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Were in Canada are you? I like the Spanish breed as well...I'm in Central Ontario

13. Pats_Perfect_Boer_Goats

Pats_Perfect_Boer_Goats The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be

Oct 24, 2013
    Central MN