Anyone feed lucerne cubes?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Jan 20, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I am trying to find a way to reduce the hay in the fleeces of my show angoras. I thought chaff might be better than normal hay, and it is but there is still the chance of it getting into their fleece, particularly if they put their heads up when I tip the bucket in. Then I thought of lucerne cubes - got a bag of them - but they seem to be too hard for the goats to eat. Particularly my 4 mth old babies that are going to the show. I have to bash them with a huge hammer first, and I dont want to have to do that every time I feed them. I came across a kitty litter today that is made from pelleted lucerne - I got a bag to try.

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    wish I could help, but I've never heard of Lucerne cubes, maybe someone else has and can help.

I have seen alfalfa cubes and they are hard. My horses have a hard time with them. They can be soaked in water to soften them up.

Denise

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its my understanding that lucerne is alfalfa

i did alfalfa cubos for my boers.. it got to be too hard for them to chew. but they do make different sizes, which is nice

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    They have alfalf pellets for goats. I would be afraid to try using a kitty litter made from alfalfa as a feed for my goats. I think it would get quite expensive too.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    This took a lot of time but it was only for our couple of goats at home but I would just peel the cubes apart and put it in their feed. Then I discovered the joys of alfalfa pellets! :D Maybe they have that in your area? Lucerne pellets?

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oops, sorry yes you would call them alfalfa cubes.

The problem is, I cant break them apart with my hands, they are so hard I need to use the sledge hammer. I tried soaking them in water and the goaties said, eeew, yuck I'm not eating that its all wet and gooey. :roll:

The only alfalfa pellets I can find are the kitty litter ones. There are no other additives listed on the bag, so I figured it wouldnt hurt to try them. Yes, its expensive, a lot more expensive than the cubes (which actually work out really cheap) but they will only go to two four month old babies. The pellets come in a 20kg bag for $19, the cubes come in a bag of 30kg for $25, a bag of chaff is 30kg for $32, and a small square bale of lucerne is $20. So the cubes are def. the cheapest, the poor old goats just cant eat them.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Good luck with that...I bought a bag of alfalfa cubes too...tried to soak them...goats won't eat them wet. Like you, I'm not sure about smashing the things every time I want to feed. Anybody want a bag of alfalfa cubes? Guess I'll feed them to the mini horses.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the alfafa pellets I get are for horses -- thats strange that you dont have any in your area.

I know rabbit pellets are alfafa -- I wonder if that is a route for you to look into

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that's very true stacy. the petting zoo near my house uses rabbit feed because most everything can eat it

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the rabbit pellets we can get here are a mix of grains etc. to provide a complete diet. The only 100% hay pellets I can get is the kitty litter.

They already get a 'grain' pellet ... I am looking for something to use as their hay ration.

Di ... I am chucking them in for my rabbit - she loves them, but its gonna take her a year to get through the bag! Oh well, at least something is eating them

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :slapfloor:

12. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    yeah i dont know is i would use the kitty litter to feed to the goats. alafa pellets are good to use instead of hay. you can also see if you local feed/grain store carrys hay extender. this is hay put in pelleted form. i have a friend that had an old doe that couldent eat hay anymore but she ate these fine.

13. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well the kitty litter alfalfa pellets may not have anything added to it but is it feed quality. I would think not and would never feed it to any animal.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would be cautious with those "kitty" pellets as well.....there could be ANY type of dry matter in them to use as an absorber. I have always used the alfalfa cubes...but with 9 goats and having some free time, I would separate them into flakes with my hands, some I needed to use channel locks on as they were a bit to tough to separate....I would fill a lidded 5 gallon bucket when I had the time and it would last quite awhile, now I have access to the pellets so "green calloused fingers" are now in my past. :ROFL:

15. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I have zero experience with pellets and find it to be an intriguing concept as I have fiber goats and the hay in their coats is a mess, plus the idea of less waste sounds great. But, I have read some articles regarding 'long fiber' (the hay, not the hair) and was wondering if you all think its critical for proper rumen function - as mentioned in this article:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... ber06.html

16. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Good article Artic. FYI I buy organic pelleted Alfalfa by the ton from Coyote Creek Mill in Texas coyotecreekfarm.org . If you are interested in alfalfa pellets as supplement/protien ration you might e-mail Coyote Creek as they have their organic pellets shipped down from Canada. The folks there would probably give you their source up North there. Who knows, might be not too far from you.

17. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks BeeLady! The feed store here actually has alfalfa cubes but I haven't tried them as I only have wethers and I think that's too much protein for them.