The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently started feeding sweetlix 50# meat maker balanced roughage poured block. The goats seem to really like it but its giving them diarrhea. Ive been giving them pepto and I take the block out when I notice they are sick. Has anyone else experienced this with minerals? What ingredient could be causing the diarrhea? Also because its a roughage balancer maybe my feed program needs to be changed while feeding it? Everyone gets bermuda grass hay free choice and a small serving of alfalfa once a day. A few hours a day they browse on brush and oak leaves. When I bring them in at night i will call them in with what amounts to a handful of grain each. And now the block free choice. Hmmm im not figuring out this puzzle on my own I need help please :(

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
The block has 16% protein and molasses is the first ingredient listed. The molasses alone would be enough to cause them to over eat the block. It could be too much protein which will cause diarrhea. The block also says there is a 7-10 day adjustment period. Try giving them limited access for a while to allow them to adjust to it and see if that doesn't clear up the diarrhea.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Goat crazy is correct...molasses is like candy! Too much is not good for them...a loose mineral would be a better choice

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I called sweetlix n they confirmed what you guys said. They are just eating too much which is what i thought too. Too much protein so Im just gonna leave it in the pasture.

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
I get a different protein block/tub but basically the same. If they run out and I get more they get a bit of the runs. Can you get your hands on some oat hay? It helps my girls with the runs and they will actually walk over the alfalfa for the oat.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive tried loose minerals a few different times and my goats wont touch it for some reason. I can get oat hay but we buy our hay by the truck load so we have a full barn already id hate to go spend money in more hay. I think im just going to limit there intake by taking it away at night when they are locked up.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Ive tried loose minerals a few different times and my goats wont touch it for some reason. I can get oat hay but we buy our hay by the truck load so we have a full barn already id hate to go spend money in more hay. I think im just going to limit there intake by taking it away at night when they are locked up.
Do you feed grain, or alfalfa pellets? Sprinkle on the grain/pellets for a week or so, they start looking for it:)

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
Yeah just give them a few days to adjust and they will be good.....I go threw this a lot with my girls since tsc never seems to meet the demand of things. Just try and keep a extra one around so you don't have to go threw this again ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts