The Goat Spot Forum banner

Anyone Happen to grow corn?

560 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Wcd 
#1 ·
On a whim ( corn pushing $9.00 a bushel) I planted about 3 acres of dent corn, and 2 acres of sorghum. So far it’s almost Knee high well at my knee, being 6’2 I am figuring that is pretty good for being this early in the game. Up North I always heard knee high by the 4th of July and your good.

so my question is if I let it stand in the field in the hot South will that get the moisture level to around 14% or lower?

Thanks

#3 ·
Call your local Extension office, they can advise you. I live in NE Ohio, and have no idea about southern corn! We usually have most of the corn in by Thanksgiving. Unless it is silage- then it gets harvested way earlier when there is still alot of green left on the stalk, leaves, etc

#4 ·
I live in TN and a lot of farmers around here grow corn to feed their cattle. They don’t have any type of system set up to water their crops. And I can’t imagine they go out and hand water their acres of corn. So I think it would be ok. I have started some corn this year and we have had alot of rain lately so mine has been doing well without me needing to water. If the corn will survive my goats is another story [emoji23]

#5 ·
Unless your goats are in your corn field, you biggest foes will be deer! They can decimate a small plot really quickly!
Groundhogs will eat the tender plants too! You may have to do guard duty and shoot the small varmits and chase
off the large!

#6 ·
Unless your goats are in your corn field, you biggest foes will be deer! They can decimate a small plot really quickly!
Groundhogs will eat the tender plants too! You may have to do guard duty and shoot the small varmits and chase
off the large!
We have been allowing Otis and Ally full access to our property. Coyotes have been bad this year so I would rather have them stop the problem before they get anywhere near the goats.

I think that has cut down on the free loaders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.