The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our 5 does gave birth yesterday she wasn't suppose to be pregnant but I guess got exposed to a buck before we got her and we weren't informed. Any how she had the cutest lil white kid yesterday afternoon. I knew something was wrong with it and called a vet first thing this AM and took her in. She has a rather large hernia and they are doing surgery on it.
Just looking for good stories to ease my mind while I wait for the call from the vets office.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
What type of hernia is it? umbilical??

I know they do those for foals quite frequently and its not a big deal, havent dealt with this in a goat kid yet though.

:pray: for a healthy happy :kidred: after her surgery is over!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
welcome -- I hope you get a good answer soon from the vet, never had a hernia in a kid before but I had a newborn kid who ended with bleeding in the bowls and after 3 blood transfusions he lived. So they can be very hardy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for responding. Yes it was an umbilical hernia and quite large. The vet did surgery and when he was in there he found some other intestine not formed properly, not closed. So she has a lot of stitches in her but she's home on a very special gentle care.

This was an unplanned birth, we had bought "unbred" doelings back in Sept the one that gave birth was the oldest at just about 5 months when we got them. They were just to be pets for my kids and possible 4H projects. Imagine the shock when my husband went to feed yesterday evening and found a tiny white kid in the goat pen. Not being prepared for a kid I was off and running to tractor supply to get stuff just in case the mom wouldn't care for the baby and thank goodness I did because she didn't. At first I kept telling myself that the hernia was normal part of the umbilical cord. Then late last night I decided baby need a vet ASAP so got in touch with one first thing this AM. Blue is our lil kids name and I'm praying she'll make it. It's odd how attached I am to this lil unplanned baby that has only been here a day spending most of that at the vets.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've had two umbilical hernias before -- but both were quite small and, on the vet's advice, left them alone and they resolved themselves. The hernias weren't large enough for intestine to slip through, just a very small "pouch."

Hope she pulls through okay -- thank goodness you took her to the vet!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Oh I am so glad you did the surgery. Congratulations on the new additions to the family.

Now we will just need to see pictures.

Is mom nursing the baby or are you having to bottle feed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts