Anyone have any idea:Tips of ears are white and dry

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jodane, Nov 6, 2019.

1. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I recently notices that a couple of my bucks have these strange white dry patches on the tips only of their ears.

I supplement their grain with a 1/2 tsp dose of Ammonium Chloride daily to prevent urinary calculi, but their feeders aren't really large enough for their ears to drag into them. The feeders are about 6" x 6" square that mount on the wall so I don't really think it's from their ears dragging into the AC residue left in the feeder.

I've been treating this buck for about a week by dipping his ear into a Lime Sulfur dip which should kill mites if that is what it is, but there's been no change in this spot since I started doing that.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm stumped

Attached Files:

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I'd try putting some nustock on it.

happybleats and ksalvagno like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nu-stock and treat for mites.

4. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't have Nu-Stock so will order some.

if it's mites, does anyone have any idea of how long it takes for treatment to show results?

I question whether it's mites because there are no other patches on the bucks any other place than on the tips of the ears. Seems strange that this would be the only spot. But that was my first instinct too.

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I believe with treating for mites, the mites will die and then the hair will have to regrow which can take some time.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Check your local feed stores for the Nu-stock or tractor supply.

With Nu-stock directly on the bad area.
    Doing it every 3 days as suggested you should start seeings results relatively quick. As long as it takes for hair to begin to grow.

Mites can be on ears only for a while, then spread to other area's on the body.
    Some goats get it, while others seem to fight them off better and not show signs.

mariarose and Iluvlilly! like this.