Anyone have ducks?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kids-n-peeps, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Any of you have ducks?

If so...what breeds do you like?
    what do you like/dislike about having ducks?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We do!
    We have a pond on the property- so naturally one day when they were selling ducklings at the feed store- we had to bring some home! :)
    We have had several breeds- Indian Runners, Blue Swedish, Khaki Cambells, and even Mallards
    They warned us the mallards would probably fly away- and sure enough.......so wouldnt waste any money on them again....
    I really like the blue swedish- they range in color from gray silver to black and blue, pretty neat.
    Indian Runners are also super funny to watch!

Ours free range- during the warm weather they spend most of their time up at the pond- we dont even feed them
    During the winter once the pond freezes and they become prime coyote bait- they have all gotten smarter and come down to the horse paddocks and scrounge on manure and horse grain/hay I always toss them a little bit of whatever horse grain I am feeding and thats it- they do just fine looking for their own goodies

They are really annoying in the winter though- always under the horses feet- and if you feed the horses down on the ground in a bucket- they are all sticking their heads in it eating- even if they have their own somewhere else
    some of the horses shoo them away- but others stand back and let them take their food.
    So now I make sure that all my horses buckets are tied up high

They are pretty funny- We wont buy anymore- just letting nature take its course. We had 4 ducklings born this year, and we were up to 10 ducks for awhile, but now we are down to 8 (some of them just arent very "street smart" and get snatched by the coyotes!)
    But it usually just takes one getting snatched up and they all wise up and come down to the barn.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just got two muscovey girls and love them - they are a hoot.

After talking with the guy at the feed store - he said that the muscovey are the only one not originated from the mallard that are common to get as hatchlings. They are from South America so they need to have good bedding and a little more caution taken on getting to cold.... but they are supposed to be good layers and great meat birds also.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've had ducks, pekings and i just rescued a pair of what we think are mallard hens. I don't like ducks all that much, they stink and are very noisy and messy, and get piked off really easy and fast by coyotes and hawks.

My pilgrim geese are really quiet unless we have an intruder in goatland, and for the most part are pretty clean, their pond is the only nasty part, and i don't have to worry about predators all that much, the hawks dont bug them and dogsare scared of them, so i just have to worry about big cats, but weve never had any (knock on wood)

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    We've had khaki campbells, blue swedish, cayuga's and muscovies. I loved the khaki's because we got eggs everyday. The blue swedish and cayugas are pretty to look at. Our muscovies are by far my favorite. Great mothers (protective) and yummy meat!

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have indian runners. They are the most entertaining little things you'll ever see!! Always running around as fast as they can, they look like bowling pins! The problem with the breed personally is that they are hard to tame, they are very fast and once you get a hold of them, they're awkward to hold because of their shape, but I love them!! They are by far my personal favorite!!

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Yeah you need some ducks...they do well with 40 inches of snow!!!!!!!!!!!! :slapfloor:

8. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    logansmommy7 - I don't know what you are talking about. Snow? What's that? It's a duck paradise over here.

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Oh yeah-I forgot. I think we might bring our brood over there then. Can the kids and I stay too?

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we used to have a few mallards. theyre pretty neat, though their poo is extremely messy!! I personally prefer turkeys. :)

11. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Sure, logansmommy, pitch a tent at the pond, pretend you are ducks, and then tell me if you think they would like it here. Sounds like a plan :)

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Think we might stay here.... :ROFL:

13. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We used to have muscovoy's. They are good pets but they can fly and do and well... they stink! If you have a large property it is okay though!

14. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the honesty everybody. It has helped me to decide that, although I'm sure ducks can be wonderful to keep, I'm not sure they are the best fit for me.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we never had great success with ducks -- owls always killed them

so unless we build an enclosure for them like the chickens we wont ever get ducks again.

I think they are cool birds but I hate the mess -- if we had a pond though I think I would consider it --- they make less mess on the ground because they are in the pond all the time :thumb:

I wouldn't get more then 4 at a time though -- they stink worse then chickens.

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    We had Cayugas and Blue Swedish ducks. I :love: ducks, seriously. They are soooo fun to watch, so cute to hatch and their eggs make baked goods 10x better. Alas, I have a duck egg allergy apparently... so my stock was sold off a few weeks ago :(

I also enjoy quail, chukar, pheasants, turkeys and guineas... and we've owned them all at one time. I'm thinking about Royal Palm turkeys this year, though I'm concerned that they can fly. Might just end up with some BBB's instead. :sigh: lol

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if you liked ducks eggs.. try goose eggs :) talk about awesome

18. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'd love to have geese, but dh has condemned them because he's told they bite. lol

19. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    LOL, last night as hubby and I were ruling out ducks, he said he'd prefer to have geese, but since our pond is at the bottom of the property and close to 2 neighbors, he was afraid the neighbors would not care for the idea . . .