anyone have experience/expertise on PPR?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Club-Mini, May 22, 2008.

1. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    does anyone know if PPR is present or has ever been in the US? ive done some research but cannot find anything as far as it being in the US. i met this lady who has a goat...she bought from the sale barn...at first i thought it had sore mouth...but could it be PPR? Scabby mouth...real nasty...though, and thick discharge from the nose, and watery eyes...what should she do? Anyone??

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is PPR?? I have never heard of it.

3. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Peste des petits ruminants

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like sore mouth - not familiar with that other issue

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've read on PPR in my vet book(I'll check again) but I'm pretty sure it isn't that common of a disease. You'd be surprised at how horrible sore mouth can get I mean it can get really really nasty. And yes symptoms like snotty noses and runny eyes can come along with it because of a weakened immune system from the soremouth: if they have it bad enough they won't be eating as well as before and they will get other ailments along with it..................

Ok I've got my book in front of me now, it says PPR has only been observed in goats and sheep in Africa and the Middle East. Clinical signs after incubation period are a fever of 104-105.8, depression, rough hair coat, dry muzzle, after onset of those symptoms nasal discharges and also discharges from the eye can be observed. It says two days after onset of fever, watery brown diarrhea and/or coughing may be observed. There are some more in depth symptoms(there's 4 pages about the disease) but it says that if they do get it and recover they will develop strong resistance.

From reading it, PPR sounds like a condition caused by severe mineral deficiency, which makes sense why it would be so common in Africa and the Middle East.

How long has she had soremouth? I'd say more than likely it would be soremouth because she came from the salebarn, things like that can be easily picked up.

6. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    thanks Stacey,

everywhere i read....it didn't say that snotty nose was a symptom of sore mouth.

can she do anything to help?

7. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    thanks for all the info..

and where do i get a book like that?? grin!

thanks,
    nella

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No, snotty noses aren't one of hte clinical signs of sore mouth, but the snotty nose can occur later on because of weakened immune function. They are much more susceptible to other conditions such as pneumonia when the soremouth is at its worse. You can dip her nose in warm water mixed with epsom salt, that will help dry up the sores.

THe book is called "Goat Medicine" it is expensive, $80 but I consider it well worth it since it is a great reference book.

9. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    ...apparently....she's seen sore mouth for a few days....and then 3 of her other goats die. one dead .... for 3 days straight....they were babies... is this normal from sore mouth?
    this is scaring me! what can i do for mine if they ever have sore mouth?
    i dont' want my babies dying....

someone??

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never had sore mouth and I don't know much about it but I would say that those kids probably had something else going on along with the sore mouth.

Were these kids born on this farm or were they recently purchased?

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Did that goats that die have sore mouth? were they babies I take it? If the sore mouth gets bad enough to the point where there mouths are encrusted, sometimes they can even get sores in their throat and mouth, the will have a really hard time eating and basicaly starve to death because they cannot eat. When we had soremouth, we were syringe feeding almost 30 kids twice a day, that was not fun, but we had to do it.