Anyone have goats losing winter coats already?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Feb 18, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I've noticed the last few days that a few of my does seem a lot less poofy/hairy, almost like they are losing their winter coats, looking slimmer as they do in the summer . . . but there is still at least a foot of snow on the ground and it's been really cold here so it just doesn't seem to add up :shrug:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pygmy doe has little fluff balls hanging from her and my cross girls are losing their under coats too.....maybe they know something we don't? All this snow is making me think that Punxsatawny Phil was right with his prediction of an extended winter so I hope goats know more than groundhogs and are blowing coats because Spring is around the corner!

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, mine are loosing the cashmere fluff too.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep....my 2 nigi have started......I quit brushing them yesterday because so much undercoat was coming out!

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Okay, good, this makes me feel better!

Liz, you should show up with one of your goats next Groundhog's Day with a coat analysis :ROFL: Let's hope they do know something - I am ready for Spring!!!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It has a lot to do with the sun. Longer hours of sun. They know what they are doing.

I have Cashmere and some have lost it all, others have lost some and then I have some that have not even started to loose their Cashmere.

My Horses are shredding also.

7. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Yup, my pregger Emily has left cashmere ALL over the kidding stall. A few of the others have been defluffing too.

But then again... it's been in the 70s the last couple of days... no snow here in norcal!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    drives me nuts! had a doe do this last year and she then needed a coat to keep her warm. Hope they all keep their fluff till April!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... I am noticing snow(white hair) rubbed here and there..... and winter is not quite done here... :help: :doh:

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    mine are blowing up... we went from the 40's to the 80's.. they are miserable poor things

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yep, all of mine are balding... my silky bucks that don't shed have spent the last few weeks Chewing their hair off! (no mites or lice I checked!!!) So much for getting a Master Championship on my boy in MAY!!!! :sigh:

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :ROFL: :slapfloor: :ROFL: ....... hmmm... I may have to give that a try!!!! :ROFL:

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol i used MTG ( main and tail grower) on my show cattle so their hair would grow back quick after a show.. it worked.. but it smells like funky BBQ chicken

15. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yup, Hope is starting to blow her undercoat. I'm hoping the nasty weather is over here.

16. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    No goats but two of the three ponies are shedding like mad a full 6 weeks earlier than last year! And the mare is in raging heat. Also 6 weeks early. I sure hope that is a sign of an early spring!!

17. Worse yet, the two I brought home, Daphne and Blue Fox, were in a closed in barn so long they blew nearly all thier coat. Pain. LOL