The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in love with the oberhasli breed, just their markings I think are beautiful. I also like the Alpines too:) Not to mention they have a great docile friendly nature:) I was considering getting 2 registered oberhasli doelings this winter, and get a registered Nigerian buck in the spring.

2 questions really... Where do you go to find out if there is a market for these kids? If there is a market for them then I will most likely go this route.

Since they are mini's would they be able to breed all year around? I'm assuming so but maybe not since the oberhasli in them might stop that..

Anyone have these cuties?? I would like to hear of your experience....

·
Super Moderator
59,247 Posts
You would just have to watch the Craigslist ads. Also see if you can find any breeders in your area.

They may or may not be year round breeders.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would just have to watch the Craigslist ads. Also see if you can find any breeders in your area. They may or may not be year round breeders.
I have only seen 1 ad on CL in the last year I've been looking at goats.

I'm going under the assumption that there isn't a lot of them in Western Wa, but there are MANY oberhasli's in general.. Maybe I can start a new trend:) There are 3 breeders for oberhasli's several more for Nigerians... It might be a stab in the dark, but who knows... I think they would make delightful goats:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm going to try to get 2 registered oberhasli doeling and 2 Nubian doelings... and buy a registered Nigerian buck and do both mini Nubians, and mini oberhasli's oberians:) before I do I have a few questions.... I may do kinders but it seams they are phasing out a bit...

Curious question after I get the mini's that would be first generation, then I would need to sell the standards and Nigerian buck, and get another registered Nigerian buck for the next season, then sell the first generation kids, as now I have 2nd generation kids, sell that buck and get yet another buck...., and now finally I would have 3rd generation kids, that I can finally register as experimental? So can I sell the 1st and 2nd generation kids as registered or how does that work?

·
I'm watching you
22,355 Posts
Oberians are really hard. They have to fit the standard for color, which means trying to find a Nigerian buck that throws no spots, no white at all, and only black or bay kids. You end up with a lot of unregisterable culls.

The breeding up is more like. 1/2 and 1/2 first generation. Then you need to find a miniature of the chosen breed to bring your generations up. I would suggest you ask LilQtBear, she breeds mini Nubians...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well at least you have canceled your meat goat plan!! lol
we had one for about 24 hours once she died of stress induced shut down of the vital organs, we have learned alot since then. but they are pretty and a nice choice

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well at least you have canceled your meat goat plan!! lol we had one for about 24 hours once she died of stress induced shut down of the vital organs, we have learned alot since then. but they are pretty and a nice choice
Yeah, that didn't take long now did it:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oberians are really hard. They have to fit the standard for color, which means trying to find a Nigerian buck that throws no spots, no white at all, and only black or bay kids. You end up with a lot of unregisterable culls. The breeding up is more like. 1/2 and 1/2 first generation. Then you need to find a miniature of the chosen breed to bring your generations up. I would suggest you ask LilQtBear, she breeds mini Nubians...
Hmmm, interesting.... I might not even bother with registering anything... The more I was looking into the sites, the more requirements I saw... WOW!! So I may just go with plan B and breed good milking mutt goats... Lol:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I like the mini breeds, however I have decided to go with unregistered kiddos.... I'm definitely getting a registered buck, but I'm still debating if I should go with kinders, since I have 2 does already, or if I should attempt on Mini Nubians or oberians. Not sure how everything is going to pan out... Getting into goats is really a huge adventure....:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey there-- I have been emailing back and forth with a Nubian breeder for 3 weeks (her doelings are alittle older 7 or 8 months) and its just difficult to get into see her kids- they are registered and a fair price $325... but now I go see a local lady just on the side of town needing place doeling Oberhaslis (one has extra teats, for $50!) and she has the paper work to prove CAE/CL clean herd... and one doe in milk as well....
So am thinking it might be easier to go that route?
Although to be honest the Nubian temprament is so popular, that the mini Nubian market would probably better, per demand in the Hobby market....

Just curious what do you like about the Oberhaslis vs the Nubian....?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, oberhasli's seem to be less moody and have a very docile personality. I like the looks of oberhasli's the best. They are also very quiet.. I have kinders, which is a Nubian/Pygmy cross, and they are by far the most moodiness, and loud goats... I also have Nubian/Lamancha does that are moody as well, they are quieter then the kinders... They are all good goats though... I would be hesitant about getting a doe with an extra teat though, as she could pass it on to her kids. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well, oberhasli's seem to be less moody and have a very docile personality. I like the looks of oberhasli's the best. They are also very quiet.. I have kinders, which is a Nubian/Pygmy cross, and they are by far the most moodiness, and loud goats... I also have Nubian/Lamancha does that are moody as well, they are quieter then the kinders... They are all good goats though... I would be hesitant about getting a doe with an extra teat though, as she could pass it on to her kids. Hope this helps:)
Well I am rethinking my goat herd plan, we may just be better off wethering this buckling after one season of breeding.
Read a really intense posting (reply to WHat do you do with your dairy goat bucklings) and it really brought home to me the responsibility of placing your goats. A good death vs the sale barn and that kind of a future and, am thinking maybe I am not cut out for that kind of goat handling. Maybe I should just stick to a few pet does and a wether....
So, in the scheme of things maybe an extra teat or two doesnt matter ( I am not going to be a Breeder or showing?) I dunno I feel confused...
That thread is really sad. Its on another Forum.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand, trust me... I started out with 4, turned to 5 now I have 10 goats and 2 sheep. I'm wanting to sell some, bucks included..., but I'm scared to death at where they will end up:( I'm contemplating getting my bucks fixed after this season and just letting them stay... I get attached too quickly... I guess I could use them next year, since I do have 5 does, and possibly doelings coming:)

Are you wanting to breed her, milk her? Milking might be difficult. I'm not saying she won't work out, she could very well make an awesome pet:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would never breed a dairy goat with an extra teat. That's just me though.. It's an extraordinarily huge fault.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I understand, trust me... I started out with 4, turned to 5 now I have 10 goats and 2 sheep. I'm wanting to sell some, bucks included..., but I'm scared to death at where they will end up:( I'm contemplating getting my bucks fixed after this season and just letting them stay... I get attached too quickly... I guess I could use them next year, since I do have 5 does, and possibly doelings coming:)

Are you wanting to breed her, milk her? Milking might be difficult. I'm not saying she won't work out, she could very well make an awesome pet:)
Honestly I have wanted goats for 20yrs.... (midlife crisis some people get a Hotrod, I get goats).... daughter seems really enthusiastic to try making some cheese (I figure just milk while they are nursing kids and then let them dry up unless child can prove she is a consistent milker-- I am out of town 3 days a week).... so thats where the adorable buckling comes in (he will make a fine wether after a round of breeding)... and we have 300lbs of dogs to feed, 3 cats and we eat meat like there is no tommorrow(I love young goat) so I had thought we could eat excess kids.... but I dunno unless I found a local cheap excutioner I dont think we can do it ourselves (despite the gun lobbyists, we just arent gun people and humanely culling w/o guns I dunno)...
So now I am back to breeding a few pasture pets, and trying a hand at milking... maybe we could milk any normal teated doelings from her?
Oh I forgot to say the pair of miniToggs are wild and scared and the other main purpose of this doe is to be our friendly goatie ambassador.....
Oh and that person also has an older in milk doe (purebreed Oberhasli) that she wants to place, I am guessing she is normal teated....

Sorry so long....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oberhasli's it is!!!! We went to the address, it turns out it is a milk -share Dairy (with a whole wall full of Gold ribbons from County Fair)... She needs to downsize by 1 yearling doe that is not competing well at the Feeders for feed and is a little skinny (she had twins and still drying off, but still milking once a day, but I was assured easy to finish drying off) and the little doeling- mom is a show goat and Buck was sold off d/t his offsprings teat irregularities .... the doeling has 2 little warts that are the extra teats, they dont look like they will interfere with milking (we will freshen her at least once)... and since we have a mini (Nigerian) buck coming in November...

Mini Oberhasli's it is!!!! Very excited!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good for you!!! Do you have a pic of her?

I visited a farm that had all oberhasli's and let's just say I have changed my mind about the mini's but I will get into pure oberhasli's. She actually only had 5 goats but they were so pretty, quiet, gentle, and one even allowed a lamb to suck on her (the tiny lamb needed it) Since I already have a well behaved oberhasli buck, I will be purchasing 2 doelings, come December:) I might keep my kinder clan, but not sure about that though:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I was debating between a Togg or an Ober for my full size milk goat. Decided on a Togg. Will get a doeling/doe next spring or summer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts