The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,357 Posts
Not in the Americans and really only in a couple lines of the purebreds. It's one of those rumors that never dies.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Even if it does taste off, I will mostly be using it to freeze in case I need to bottle feed, and use for soap. I may breed her to Jills LaMancha buck and trade her a kid, so I am sure the kids would have nice milk genetics. Taste and production :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good for you!!! Do you have a pic of her?

I visited a farm that had all oberhasli's and let's just say I have changed my mind about the mini's but I will get into pure oberhasli's. She actually only had 5 goats but they were so pretty, quiet, gentle, and one even allowed a lamb to suck on her (the tiny lamb needed it) Since I already have a well behaved oberhasli buck, I will be purchasing 2 doelings, come December:) I might keep my kinder clan, but not sure about that though:)
Yes arent they sweet and gentle?! So friendly-- the yearling I am getting is a full sister to the show goat but she has scurs, so that put her out of the running for showing (but is registered)...
Too bad you arent close b/c I sure could use your Buck sometime!
New to this, but Obers seasonal breeders? So she should be coming into heat soon?

I was warned that Toggs may have strong tasting milk (not something my skittish hubby is going to go for)... and since we have mostly Nigerian Toggs I am hoping their milk wont have that flavor.
The Breeder showed me how to milk yesterday but I forgot to try the milk( someone's car broke down and they came over to call AAA which distracted us all)-- but will see if she will let me have a drink today....
We pick them up at 2PM!!!!!
Also she offered us a free wether, not sure though as I think I may end up with a few of my own in the summer after our first freshenings....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry no pics, I just have an old cell phone and no camera, and really havent been bothered to sign up for Flickr or any of those accounts (I have 15 passwords already- work in a hospital-- and I am getting them all confused as it is)....

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, they are seasonal breeders... Yeah, it is too bad you don't live closer, as I'm sure Charlie wouldn't mind a bit:) That is another reason why I wanna go with just oberhasli's.

I'm thinking mini Toggs would be good, since Nigerian milk is delicious. Actually Goathiker said that if it's American Togg, their milk should be good:)

Shucks, no pics... Oh well, completely understand:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yes, they are seasonal breeders... Yeah, it is too bad you don't live closer, as I'm sure Charlie wouldn't mind a bit:) That is another reason why I wanna go with just oberhasli's.

I'm thinking mini Toggs would be good, since Nigerian milk is delicious. Actually Goathiker said that if it's American Togg, their milk should be good:)

Shucks, no pics... Oh well, completely understand:)
With mini Toggs, you would need to find a buck that has the same color as full size Toggs. Then you would be more likely to get the acceptable color. I just have never seen a Nigerian in that color. Well, I've seen two. Which is too bad, because it's one of my faves! :) If you go mini, it would be easier to go Mini Oberhasli because the Chamoise color I have found it more common in the Nigerians.

·
I'm watching you
22,357 Posts
You could also go pure black with black parents. Since it's a recessive gene you'd have a good chance of getting the dams color.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Obers can be pure black?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, they can. Interesting concept Goathiker.... I don't think I'm going with mini's I might change my mind but I like the seasonal breeding with the purebreds:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh I think I will end up with interesting mutt minis - my color is all wrong, but interestingly enough, they all have very strong dairy genetics (Nigie buck, and the does today are coming from a dairy and the yearling is a working gal so to speak)...
But who knows, the Bucklings father is solid black, but he is black and white parti colored....

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oh I think I will end up with interesting mutt minis - my color is all wrong, but interestingly enough, they all have very strong dairy genetics (Nigie buck, and the does today are coming from a dairy and the yearling is a working gal so to speak)... But who knows, the Bucklings father is solid black, but he is black and white parti colored....
I was scrolling through Craigslist this evening and came upon a Nigerian Dwarf doe bred to an oberhasli buck. I'm now curious on what the kids will look like so I'm debating on getting her. I'm a little concerned about birthing issues. I have a kinder doe that is bred to my ober buck, but kinders are a little bigger then the Nigerians. Hmmm, I might have some mini obers yet:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So, I decided against getting her since they wanted $450.00 for her and she's not even registered.... I really wanted to see the kids though:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
So, I decided against getting her since they wanted $450.00 for her and she's not even registered.... I really wanted to see the kids though:)
$450! Wow -- there def is a market out there for mini dairy breeds (I know that it really appealed to us as first time goat owners, although now that we have a week milking the Oberhasli doe, I can see how much easier I standard size set of teats is to handle)...
and I was worried myself about the mini doe kidding a larger size kid anyway, I thought there was risk to that...

Well if you wanna see what that cross kid looks like-- we should have some by next summer (our registered Nigerian Dwarf buckling will be 8 weeks first wk of Nov and we will go get him then)-- by our 2 Oberhasli does....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am new to goat raising and was primarily interested in PB Oberhaslis but as fate would have it I now have a Nubian/Oberhasli doe, a PB Oberhasli doe, a mini Nubian doe, a mini Oberhasli doe, and the newest addition is a 5 month old Mini Alpine. I also have a papered Nigerian dwarf that I may be willing to sell to the right home. My Ober and mini ober are bred to my ND buck and are due to kid in March/April.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am new to goat raising and was primarily interested in PB Oberhaslis but as fate would have it I now have a Nubian/Oberhasli doe, a PB Oberhasli doe, a mini Nubian doe, a mini Oberhasli doe, and the newest addition is a 5 month old Mini Alpine. I also have a papered Nigerian dwarf that I may be willing to sell to the right home. My Ober and mini ober are bred to my ND buck and are due to kid in March/April.
I am going to be breeding Nubian/Oberhasli's then in oh 10 years I'll get some Nigerian dwarf bucks, and breed minis... That's my new plan

21 - 37 of 37 Posts