Anyone have pregnant mares this year?

Discussion in 'Horses' started by firelight27, Mar 22, 2011.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Just out of curiousity. I know plenty of people who raise goats who also own horses. I have one mare to foal this year. I am down to two horses, and this is my third attempt at a foal.

The first attempt was a beautiful registered Arabian mare I had as a senior in highschool. She conceived first try and then absorbed the fetus within the first three months. It was too late to rebreed that year. The second attempt was two years ago with a huge APHA mare with blue eyes crossed on this homozygous, red dun tobiano stallion I fell in love with. We bred her three times and she just wouldn't take no matter what the vet tried.

I bred my bay roan Quarter Horse filly last June to the same stallion and she took! She is nine months pregnant (approximatley) and is due the 30th of May (based on 340 day gestation.) She isn't registered, though she should be, but I didn't get papers when I bought her. My other two attempts at foals would have resulted in registered offspring. But the dad tested homozygous for tobiano, so I can register the foal with the PtHA and show on their circuit if I'd like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stallion:
    (PaintnCash Reward (by Wanted Reward)

[​IMG]

Three of his half-brothers have won top tens at the APHA world in working cow horse, and two of those have been Reserve World Champions, so I'm excited for this foal. :)

2. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm still looking for my horse pal. The one I had, (Danny Boy) didn't work out and he hated (and I mean HATED) the arena. I re-homed him with an older, more experienced gentlemen from church. He's just a trail horse now and loves it.
    I want an app but am having a hard time finding the right one for me. We are also looking at haflingers and drafts. Love the temp and look.
    We have a draft, mule and horse auction Saturday that I'm trying to stay away from. hee hee. Don't know how well that will go. We are still waiting for the guys to finish the fence. We hired a guy last year to help with it and what a mess that turned out to be. We hired 2 guys from church that have done fence before but they only work some Saturdays. Last Saturday was perfect and no one showed up to work.
    Steph at church has a haflinger mare she said we could breed for a foal but we wouldn't get to be there to see or imprint the foal. Plus no one around here has a stud. I did find a varnner stallion. Wonder what that would look like? hmm.
    I hope you have good luck with the birth. And please post pic's of the wee one when the time comes. What are you going to train the foal for? Showing?

Gina

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very beautiful horses.... :love: congrats on finally getting her to take....I pray ...she has a beautiful and healthy baby for you..... :pray: :thumb: :greengrin:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am in love with your mare!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I just love love love roans and she is GORGEOUS!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: Can't wait to see her foal!!!!

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We don't have any mares, but my husband foals mares :) He's used to having a lot of mares ready to foal, but he's at a new farm this year and they only had around 8 pregnant <smaller farm, but high quality thoroughbreds>. I think he has one or two left. I'm always so jealous...I'd love to learn how to foal mares!

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Well, my mare's udder is swelling and then reducing. Not filling with any fluids, but we are getting closer! May 10th will be day 320, which is the earliest I am supposed to expect a foal (according to my vet.) May 30 would be day 340 and the average foaling date for most mares.

7. brandy8965

brandy8965 New Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Illinois
    I've got two walking horse mares bred due to foal in march and April of 2012. I had a late dialing in Oct of 2010 and didn't breed any for 2011. But really looking foward to the 2012 babies.