Anyone have time to look at my stud options and comment?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SandStoneStable Farm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    So on Thursday, I'm all set up to stud both girls with Brad Pitt (the top one) mostly because of size, his stand/ linear appraisal. However, my FIL (race horse breeder) thinks I should mix them up and thinks 1 should go with FuManchu (third down) and/or Alabama (last one) because of Dam history/ udder if only 1 is an option.

:scratch: The breeder may not let me change my mind anyway, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.
    :ponder:

Thanks, Caryn

Link:
    http://www.tinytowngoats.com/AFGoatsBucks.html

Just when you think you've got it all figured out someone comes along and makes you start all over :doh:

2. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Wow! what alot of pretty boys they have... and such impressive credentials! I'm a newbie, but for what it's worth.. I'd want a little bit of all of them... alabama is very cute!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... they are all good.............. I know.... not much help..... :wink:

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You would have more genetic variation if you used two different ones.

Jan

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice looking boys...and those genetics are great! Of all those bucks, I really like Samuri, besides his dam having a very nice udder, I like his lean dairy build. I'm more "into" the more dairy looking nigies as opposed to the chunky build.
    Alabama has great udders behind him too, but his baby pic doesn't show what he really looks like.

6. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks guys,
    I know... If I had 2 more does I could just pick a bunch :wink:
    Liz, I agree. I would like an updated photo of Alabama. I'll see if she can send one. I do like his gen history, but they're all that super cute little!!
    I'm not as fond of FuManchu's bulky front, you can see it's a strong trait from his sire pic. Samurai's sexy but is busy that week, so I'm not even going looking at him. :shades:
    The girls leave in 3 days, and I was so committed to Brad Pitt for the last 4 months.. until yesterday :GAAH:

Caryn

7. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I have a lot of goats with Cool Your Jets (Brad Pitt's lineage) & Show Tunes (Alabama's lineage) & I absolutely love them all. The have the nice lengthy dairy bodies & I haven't had a bad udder yet from either of these lines!

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I would personally do FuManchu if it is between him and Brad Pitt. He has a better rear leg set and a stronger topline and I THINK he might have a little bit better extension in his brisket (it is hard to tell with the size of the photo, his colors and the shadows.) But Brad Pitt's neck just blends directly into his front legs with no definition at all. I would say Brad Pitt is longer bodied, but I think that is just an optical illusion. FuManchu looks just as long, but he is much deeper bodied than Pitt, so it makes Pitt look longer, IMO. FuManchu is also more uphill. I do love Brad Pitt's sire and he is a more refined type, but I think FuManchu has a lot of things going for him that are a bit better. And you said you already have a lot of Brad Pitt's lineage in your herd. If you went with FuManchu you could get some extra diversity, which is always important in my book. That and you implied that the dam's udder was nicer in FuManchu. So if you already have the body you like from Brad Pitt's lines, you might focus on improving udders this time around. I've found that crossing a very dairy, long and refined goat on one with more capacity (and usually nicer udders) will make a really good combo most of the time.

9. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Oh wait, that was Pelican Acres that has a lot of Brad Pitt's lineage. My bad.

10. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Excellent feedback, thanks so much for looking.

Pretty much same thing my father in law said about FU Manchu, again he's a horse breeder, so I appreciate your input Firelight.
    I was soo busy looking at the back of him, I didn't really notice his legs don't set back much until you said something. hmmm...
    Karen, It's neat you have relatives and they're doing well bredding for you!

I'm still waiting to hear back from them... It's turning BITTER cold this week... Hope everyone's still in the mood :)

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    IMO i'd just stick with the same buck.. keep whatever does out of the cross, then next year breed to a group of bucks forvariety.

if i hadtopick a second buck it'd be alabama..

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Brad Pitt's daughter Rosa sports that lack of brisket as well but the udder isn't to bad. Her stacked picture is aweful of her (she obviously wasnt cooperating).

FuManchu's Daughter is already a full Champion "Jingle" is her name

Love the daughters udders out of Samauri but I think you said he is busy - but just had to put a shout out for him ;)

13. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Ok so final decision was based on logistics. Brad Pitt is already set up with does same age as mine, so 1 will go with him. Unfortunately Texas 2 Step (girls sire) doesn't have the greatest brisket definition but well see .... *fingers crossed*
    The other will go with Peeping Tom, he is set up with 1 other doe and so I will add my other girl to that mix. The others are set up with larger groups or not available.

I am still very happy with this set up, as it's our first and you guys have given me some great ideas for mixing it up next year (maybe reserve Fu Manchu and Samauri for next year now ;)

Thanks again for your input, truly appreciated and also thank you for adding "brisket" to my goat vocabulary :) look forward to me trying to squeeze it into all future posts!
    Caryn